Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A first in the Pizza arena!

FlyingTivo
FlyingTivo Posts: 352
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cheese crust! Very nice!

Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    brush the crust with some olive oil next time, it will look perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    brush the crust with some olive oil next time, it will look perfect.
    Is that before or after cooking? Still working on getting my pizzas where I want them to be.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Your pie needs a lot of work dude!  It looks raw.  It's hurting my eyes!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • FlyingTivo
    Its not raw, im just missing more heat from the top to get the golden brown. I will try the 2 platesetter setup so i can get a more golden brown on top.
    Here is a pic of the bottom crust!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Looks good. I still think you can go longer without burning. No need for 2 plate setters
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ncbbq
    Don't mind SamFerrise, he's just an a$$hole. He has already pissed off quite a few people here. He never has anything nice to say. If you enjoyed your pizza that is all that matters. Don't let him get you down.
  • FlyingTivo
    It was darn good so no downer for me!
    Also i have become a firm believer of Parchment paper, it will let you
    extend the pizza dough ahead of time without the risk of sticking to the
    wooden peel! Tonights first pie i could not get to brown the crust due too much flour
    so it would not stick on the peel. Second and third pie, was with parchment paper.

Felipe
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    Don't mind SamFerrise, he's just an a$$hole. He has already pissed off quite a few people here. He never has anything nice to say. If you enjoyed your pizza that is all that matters. Don't let him get you down.
    While I agree his tact could have been better in this thread and the Dizzy thread (and i'm sure a few others), the dude knows how to make a good pie. His last thread made me drool http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139545/pizza-night-again#latest

Anyway, he definitely could have worded it better.  As someone mentioned, a lil brush of olive oil on the crust prior to tossing on the egg would do wonders to reach the golden brown crust we look for.  A few more minutes would not have burned your pie either.

That's what it's all about to FlyingTivo, as long as you and your family enjoyed the pie...nothing else really matters.  Success! =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • FlyingTivo
    As SamFerris states on that thread, I like the pizza dough just like his wife, not as crispy or black on the edges as his pictures. The calzone looks very good and i will try it very soon!
    I also have to let you know that the dough is made by my 13 yr old Son and is getting better every time! I definitely enjoy Pizza night with my Son!

Felipe
  • And that is what matters!!
  • ncbbq
    @cazzy, I'm not questioning his abilities. Myself and others have just noticed through several threads that he has a tendency to be a bit of a negative nelly. There is constructive criticism and there is being an a$$hole. We all come here seeking the former while he tends to be more of the latter.
  • cazzy
    I definitely enjoy Pizza night with my Son!

Felipe
    Yes sir!!!  That's good stuff right there! :)
  • cazzy
    @cazzy, I'm not questioning his abilities. Myself and others have just noticed through several threads that he has a tendency to be a bit of a negative nelly. There is constructive criticism and there is being an a$$hole. We all come here seeking the former while he tends to be more of the latter.
    I understand completely.  His post clearly lacked tact but I don't think you need to lower yourself and start name calling.  Some people are new to forums and don't understand that you can't type how you speak on a forum.  Peeps don't see your expressions and lots of things can be mis-interpreted. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Ignore @SamFerrise. He's like a pizza nazi and doesn't have much nice to say. Don't believe me? Check out his comment threads sometimes. According to him I made his grandmother cry by adulterating pizza by making some pizza rolls (yet somehow he can see some kind of logic that allows him to make clazones and that's not adulterating? Fail to see the logic in that)

I think your cheese stuffed pizza looks good. A bit of a brush of olive oil or butter and it would have browned up nicely. What kind of cheese did you use in the crust?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cazzy

Ignore @SamFerrise. He's like a pizza nazi and doesn't have much nice to say. Don't believe me? Check out his comment threads sometimes. According to him I made his grandmother cry by adulterating pizza by making some pizza rolls (yet somehow he can see some kind of logic that allows him to make clazones and that's not adulterating? Fail to see the logic in that)

I think your cheese stuffed pizza looks good. A bit of a brush of olive oil or butter and it would have browned up nicely. What kind of cheese did you use in the crust?

I read that comment too and lol'd.  I didn't think about that contradiction though.  I wonder if @SamFerrise 's grandmother would endorse calzones?
  • Griffin

"Pizza is like religion." he says. Naw, its just good eats that puts a smile on everybodys face.

I can totally understand doing things the traditional way, but some times its fun to try other things. Besides, what is traditional when it comes to pizza? All you have to do is check out the pizza section on the serious eats website to see how many variations there are on pizza. Somebody gonna tell Don Toyota he shouldn't be making pizzas on tortillas? Not I, Sir, not I. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• FlyingTivo
    I used Provolone cheese on the crust! The pizza rolls are next on the list, my sone and I loved the idea and are hooked on it!

Felipe
  • 3under
    3under Posts: 19
    Your pizza lookes like like a success to me, since anytime spent with family these days is priceless. It's even better when you can enlist help of youngns.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Pay no attention to critics. I have found that different dough recipes result in a different "look" after it is cooked. Not only that, different people have different preferences. If you like it, that is the main thing. It looks great to me!
  • Griffin

@mountaindewwbass I was just quoting something Sam said to me when I made my pizza rolls awhile back.

@FlyingTivo Oh no! You are gonna make Sam's grandma cry all over again.

I did try my hand at some New York style pizza dough tonight. Came out ok, but needs some tweaking. I'll post it up tomorrow, to late tonight.

Rowlett, Texas