Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick temp HIGH

Options
LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I got my Maverick and set up the grid probe only tonight, was doing brats and had lots to take care of inside. So I set the high and low temps threw my food on and away it went. I looked a few times 400 403 ok, I'll take that. Then to finish my veggie I bumped the heat to 450-500 and the temp went really high, at one point it was 100 degrees over the dome temp. I got scared and somehow unclaimed it without burning myself to get it out of there. You think it's ok? Should I try to drop it in boiling water and see if I can calibrate it? Suggestions please! THANKS.

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I always use my maverick on low-n-slow and wasn't sure about using it for high temp direct cooks - does it still work after that exposure?. . So I guess I am not best to answer, but curious to see other responses.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Check the manual. Don't have mine handy right now, but I thought I remembered it saying NOT to calibrate put it in boiling water (which I remember because I thought it was weird.

But the dome temp can be substantially different than the temp at the grid, so if that's what you're worried about, I think youre fine.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I have always been afraid to use mine for high temp cooks as well.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Usually when the probe gets too hot it reads HHH. When it cools it has always recovered for me.  I never use it on high temp cooks - only low and slows.

You didn't say which model of the timer, but the ET732 seems to handle high temperatures better due to better probes and electronics.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    572F is the max recommended temperature for the probe.  Use it higher than that, and you risk cooking it and ruining it.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    572 F is pretty good, that's much hotter than I thought it could handle. But can the grate probe handle both direct heat (flames) as well as indirect at this temp? I have the ET732 and tossed the manual, thanks.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

I use two of them every day, so I can keep track of temps while doing other things in the house.  The BBQ prob consistently goes HHH if the temp goes above 600.  I do not generally cook that hot.

After a good time the dome and probe temps close, but are off at first, usually by about 50 degrees.

Were you cooking direct?  I suspect you had the probe over a hot spot.

On another note, 450-500 for veggies is pretty hot.  Try reversing your cook, do the veggies first and then the meat.  Or, think of this as a good reason to get another Egg so you can cook at two temps.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Electronics and fire don't always go well together.  Keep the gadgets for your low in slows.

Most wires inside a cooker have a 375/400 limit before going haywire (bad readings or dead).

Once you've bought a few replacements this will become more clear. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    Thanks guys, I was just cooking brats I wanted around 400 I will set it tomorrow to see if I fried it or not! I Think I am screwing up by cookies veggies during or after the main. So then I have to hurry them up, I need to put them on before. I don't know why I struggle with that the meat is great, but them those darn veggies get me every time! I SO want another egg but after only having my 1st a little over less than a month it's a big ASK.