Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump at home depot

Options
2»

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I just put in a new bag of wicked good tonight and it sparked like crazy. One ember popped out onto my mulch and started smoldering.  Never had that problem with wicked good before.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I just saw Gordon Foods (GFS) has their own brand of lump.  Anybody use it before?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Rboyanton
    Options
    I tried public brand lump and will never use it again. Slow to get to cooking temp and then whoosh, it flares up and temp hits over 700 in no time. I actually talked to a guy the other day and the same temperature spike caused his medium size egg to weld itself shut. This is a not good lump charcoal. Do NOT use it at all!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like they added time-release napalm to their lump.  If you damper it back after reaching your cook temp (or a little before), you can regulate the fire so it won't flare up.  Limiting reagent to fire is oxygen.  It can't flare up without it.
    Options
    Rboyanton, not gonna help the thread issue - sparking.
    Options
    Sounds like they added time-release napalm to their lump.  If you damper it back after reaching your cook temp (or a little before), you can regulate the fire so it won't flare up.  Limiting reagent to fire is oxygen.  It can't flare up without it.

lulz!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I hate the stuff (talking about the lump here, not the chips), the smell is horrible.
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    I just saw Gordon Foods (GFS) has their own brand of lump.  Anybody use it before?

I purchased the lump a couple of time and really liked it.  Good size pieces, lights easily and a light smoke to it.  Price is right.  I will definitely purchase again. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Ford_3_Window
    Options
    Been using the GFS stuff all summer; Price is right, nice big pieces, seems to spark a little sometimes, but overall I like it!
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    The B & B I've been using sparks on ignition then settles into a nice burn.  $12.95 price tag per 20 lbs isn't bad either.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    The B & B I've been using sparks on ignition then settles into a nice burn.  $12.95 price tag per 20 lbs isn't bad either.  
    I am also getting decent use from B&B. It sparkles badly if lit in a chimney lighter, so I just stopped lighting it that way. I now build my fires in the BGE pot and start them with a firestarter stick. It burns as hot as I need it to, and I can cook for hours.

Tim
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I'm on my second bag of B&B.  Sparky on start up, but that's my only complaint, and I can live with it.  Not like fire is an issue here considering it rains just about every day.