Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza cook from last night

Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited July 2012 in Forum List

Was flying solo last night (all my girls were out) so I decided pizza was in the mix. I did the classic dough from Cooks Illustrated, roasted garlic tomato sauce with fresh herbs, fresh mozzarella, sauteed onions and bananna peppers, fresh basil and fresh sage. This was my 2nd ever pizza cook on the BGE.

It was very tasty (esp the sage, an addition I'd strongly suggest) but I noticed the crust was much crunchier than a Publix pre-made dough (600 deg, 10-12 min).

What I'm looking for is a REALLY thin, crispy dough - like what you get in New Jersey (called bar-pies by the locals). Any suggestions?

Also, Semolina Flour is the BOMB for crust management.

It's nice to be home during the week so I can play. Including WAY too much time on this forum..it's addicting...

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice work....if you add the basil after the pie cooks, it'll keep that nice green color.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Check out teh Serious Eats website. They have all kinds of articles on how to make different kinds of pies and I remebmer reading one on bar-pies.

Bar Pies at Home

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cymbaline65

Yeah, that's the one thing about basil. As for bar pies, Griffin, I'll definitely take a look at that. Thanks for the link!

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I have no idea if that is traditional or if it's any good. haven't tried it yet. I'm going to make their dough for their New York dough recipe tonight and make one up tomorrow.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks really tasty.

If you want a real, real crispy thin-crust (like a cracker) dough, omit any oil when making the dough and after it proofs, use a rolling pin rather than hand-form.  Probably regular all-purpose flour with less gluten (gluten makes it chewy) will be crispier than the Tipo "00" or other high protein bread/pizza doughs.

Yes, nolaegghead, I read about the protein content making the difference. I just read the link Griffin sent. Definitely going to give it a try.

Thanks for the input everyone!

• Cymbaline65
    I have no idea if that is traditional or if it's any good. haven't tried it yet. I'm going to make their dough for their New York dough recipe tonight and make one up tomorrow.
    Definitely tell me how it goes... Don't know if I'm travelling next week so may have to try that dough sometime this week.