Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Modding before first use?

Options
AustinL911
AustinL911 Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got my LBGE in the other day but it's still sitting in the box because I haven't had time to build a table for it yet. I already have an adjustable rig on order and have been reading about the High Que grate being a beneficial mod so I was thinking about ordering one from the get-go. I also plan on doing some pizzas early on and the gasket issue has me concerned. I'm thinking about installing a high temperature version prior to using the egg so the stocker doesn't get baked on. Thoughts?

Comments

• FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    That is what i did, you can look up my threads. Its so much easier, I only did the lower one but i regret not doing both.

good luck

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    yea, replacing the gasket before much use is a lot easier than dealing with baked on gunk. As far as the high que goes, I don't have one, and have never needed one. No problem at all getting up to nuclear temperatures, and it holds low and slows for days. The AR was a wise purchase, i absolutely love mine, it's an indispensable tool. Get yourself an electric starter for the low and slows, and I love my weed burner to get the whole bed of coals evenly going for a good hot fire. Other than that, cook on it, get it dirty and enjoy. Word of advice, when you do the nomex gasket. Still let it run a few cooks long low and slow. you'll burn off any of the VOC's from the adhesive, and essentially vulcanize the rubber in the adhesive to the egg and have a long lasting gasket.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i drilled out my small's firebox and expanded the lower vent opening.  after the effort, i can tell you the best way to get a hi-performing egg is to keep your lump dry, minimize ash in the egg, and use it often.

keep your felt for now.  it's a crap shoot.  mine lasted a good year or more.  no sense creating work for yourself sooner rather than later. 

if you replace with nomex, you want to do top/bottom in order to maintain the correct thickness (otherwise you can have a hing issue).

with a rutland gasket you want top or bottom rim only, most go with the bottom. aain, to maintain the correct thickness and hinge alignment
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm with Stike (Which means it's probably time to rethink my life). I've had gaskets last 2 years, I've had them last 6 months. I just did the nomex replacement and took the whole thing apart, sanded the rims down to the ceramic prepped everything perfectly, allowed to cure with the dome closed for 24+ hours all as stated in the instructions and the glue is coming loose after my 1st cook. No guarantees that the nomex is going to be any less troublesome.I would stick with the original and go Rutland when it fries. I know this will be my last attempt at a felt gasket. When it's gone, rutland for me.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Just start cooking! It sounds like you could have analysis paralysis! I can get that too from time to time!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Rutland, Permatex Ultra Copper... FOREVER.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Agree wit Lizzie. Just fire it up! Many on the site have mentioned that they run even without a gasket with no problems. I am going on 6 months problem free.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options

I agree with Stike - good point about regular use too - my less used cooker was always harder to get up to temp and I thought I had a duffer - the other Med was fine and guess which I used most!

After a few years I've moved to Rutland & Permatex Ultra Copper because I could, but there's no rush.