Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que stainless steel charcoal grate

2»

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I'm new, hadn't seen the Hi Q, thanks for that. 

I see the dome concept providing more surface area to provide more holes for ash to plug and feed the fire. But at the same time the dome would tend to disrupt how the inverted cone pattern that the lump wants to burn. 

The Hi Q grate looks like it would be more difficult to clog. It also looks like it would pass more unburned lump. 

There've been plenty of '+1's' FOR the Hi Q grate. But nobody's mentioned whether unburned lump, or how much more unburned lump drops through, if it does. 

And, no one's mentioned anything about the unburned lump that drops through, if it drops through, and whether it burns in the bottom of the Egg. 

So, WHY BGE, does your warranty not apply if the Hi Q grate is used? What's the concern? Why don't you use a Hi-Q design grate?  
    I'm sure it depends on your lump (avg size distribution of the pieces, how careful you are in arranging them).  I have a Hi-Q and only used it a couple of times.  It totally solves the ash clogging the grate issue...but I kept ending up with lots of burning lump down on the floor of the egg and it seemed like even not fully burned bits would fall into the ash and smother.  I went back to using the original grate and made a wiggle rod from wire hanger that I use to poke the grate holes during a cook if I think they're clogging.
  • Yes there is some small bits that fall through during cooks, but I would have to say, when cooled down I was only cleaning out small 1/2 inch pieces with the fine ash, And this is after quite a few short dinner cooks.  I also start with large lump on bottom and put the smaller lump in the starter chimney.  Love the better air flow!!!  I would compare the performance to the larger oval holes Primo uses on their grates. 
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I have not noticed a lot of unburned lump in the bottom a,though there's some. No issue with burning pieces falling through that I can tell.
    None here either. Haven't had the fire choked since I got the Hi-Q grate.

Eggo in N. MS
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Anyone dislodge it while stirring their charcoal? The bars look like the ash tool could catch pretty easy if you at inattentive/inebriated.
    I have found no need to stir my charcoal while using the High Que. The ash works its way down and falls through very well on its own. About the only stirring I do is prior to a new cook, I will shuffle the leftover lump from previous cook to fill the hole that seems to burn down through the center that I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. It doesn't take much - just nudging some lump from the edges down into the hole is all. 
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I have had the High Que grate for some time and have done both low and slow and high temp cooks on it.

Of course larger lump falls through than would fall through the factory provided drain cover.  Not an issue to me.

I can get a MUCH higher sear temp with the HQ than the factory BUT I find it a bit more difficult to do low and slow.  I can no longer maintain 200 degree dome temp (not that I have much need to do that anyway) as the fire goes out (twice out of two attempts) with the HQ.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    +1 on the thread and recommendation, used mine on the mini today and it heated up quick. All coals on the bottom turned to ash so I think less waste also. The outside of the egg was noticeably hotter versus using the other grate, or maybe it was just me.
    Seattle, WA
  • Is the High Que grate bought through a BGE dealer?  If not, where do you buy them? I have looked through BGE website and don't see anything that looks like the picture posted above.  (newbie)
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • probe1957 said:
    I have had the High Que grate for some time and have done both low and slow and high temp cooks on it.

Of course larger lump falls through than would fall through the factory provided drain cover.  Not an issue to me.

I can get a MUCH higher sear temp with the HQ than the factory BUT I find it a bit more difficult to do low and slow.  I can no longer maintain 200 degree dome temp (not that I have much need to do that anyway) as the fire goes out (twice out of two attempts) with the HQ.
    This has been my experience too.  Henceforth, I will be putting the cast iron grate back in when I do low and slow.
  • I don't know why they with grid bars going in both directions. That would have made it better suited to working with lump.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • My grate has holes drilled with a chamfer.  Do you put the small size hole on top which I think helps the ash fall through.  If large size hole is on top i think more charcoal will get stuck.   Is this right?  Visualize a funnel where it is large on top and small on bottom.
  • I have the High Q and have yet to have a fire go out or need a wiggle rod to open any clogged holes. I have no problems cooking lo and slo or high heat, it doesn't matter with the High Q.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    My grate has holes drilled with a chamfer.  Do you put the small size hole on top which I think helps the ash fall through.  If large size hole is on top i think more charcoal will get stuck.   Is this right?  Visualize a funnel where it is large on top and small on bottom.
    when I used the CI plate, I put it in as it said somewhere, larger hole on bottom for the very reason you stated. 

I have the High Q and have yet to have a fire go out or need a wiggle rod to open any clogged holes. I have no problems cooking lo and slo or high heat, it doesn't matter with the High Q.
    +1 here. Also can keep grate and dome under 275, not an issue, just make the bottom vent look like a coin slot. 
    Also haven't had an overnighter go out. :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Monju123
    Monju123 Posts: 11
    To NOLAEgghead. BGE and Festool!! You are a man after my own heart. Born and raised and lived in N.O. For 50 years till that little storm blew through in 05. In Lafayette now, not much of a sacrifice.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Old thread.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Monju123 said:
    To NOLAEgghead. BGE and Festool!! You are a man after my own heart. Born and raised and lived in N.O. For 50 years till that little storm blew through in 05. In Lafayette now, not much of a sacrifice.
    Love my Festool stuff almost as much as the eggs.  I've probably invested 6K in Festool systems.  Worth every penny.
    SteveWPBFL said:  Conclusion: The larger grate holes are slightly less prone to being plugged/blocked by ash/lump and will allow slightly more unburned lump to fall through. The primary benefit of a ‘higher flowing grate’ is not that it allows more grate flow area but that it allows more grate area (i.e. more holes) to be plugged/blocked with ash/lump before it becomes smaller than the inlet flow area. 

How’s that for rocket science? 

I agree that the High-Q is much less prone to clogging, but comparing "flow areas" isn't quite as simple as it sounds.  First, the velocity of the air has a huge effect on the mass flow rate, ie air coming in an 8 square-inch hole at 30 feet per second would equal the air mass going through a 16 square-inch hole at 15 feet per second.  And, secondly, even that's not necessarily true as air is a compressible fluid.  It would actually take a pretty neat, sophisticated set of experiments/measurements to see what the High-Q actually gives you.
    I'm not a rocket scientist, but I WAS a rocket engineer on the Space Shuttle boosters at Thiokol from 1997-1999!   
    :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Monju123
    Monju123 Posts: 11
    Monju123 said:
    Love my Festool stuff almost as much as the eggs.  I've probably invested 6K in Festool systems.  Worth every penny.

6K !! You only have three?