Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steaks (rough for dialups)

Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
for any one interested in WHAT they are, WHERE they come from and HOW to cut your own.[p]Here I have two pieces of Boneless Beef Chuck Top Blade Roasts. This muscle runs through the Beef Shoulder and and the Chuck. I'm going to cut down thru each one horizontally to remove the connective tissue. We'll end up with what is called "Flat Iron" Steaks. You'll notice that the face of these roasts resemble a flattened 'Ying Yang' sign.
22650294_75aeb7a81a_o.jpg
I'm going to make the first cut. Slip the knife over the connective tissue, keeping as close to it as you can. Once you get it started, hold the upper piece of meat with your hand and pull as you slide the knife down toward the end.
22650295_49d69fff82_o.jpg
Once you've removed the top piece, flip over and do the same thing. Discard the connective tissue, it's not worth doing anything with.
22650296_71dd1fcdd7_o.jpg
There, two perfect little Flat Iron Steaks, approx 8 oz each. Cut in half, if you wish. You can remove the little pieces of gristle, but most of the smaller ones will cook away, or fall off during grilling.
22650297_dd447930f0_o.jpg
#5 All done! Eight steaks total. These are GREAT on the grill. Hot and fast, don't over cook. Enjoy!!!!
22650298_62c55f4174_o.jpg[p]I'm cooking two of them on the Mini tonite. Gingered Carrots and Broccolini to go with. Some wine, I'm sure.[p][p][p]

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for instructions, I always appreciate the "how to" from you and others on the forum.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Rumrunner,[p]Thanks for the post on the Flat Iron Steaks. The Wall Street Journal ran an article today about the "other" cuts of beef. They actually rated it as the second most tender cut on the Cow behind only the Filet Mignon. Please post a follow up around how you cooked it as I would love to do a couple this weekend![p]Cut
  • Rumrunner,[p]Thank you SO much for that pictorial...now I understand! It's really easy, eh?! I can't wait to try it.[p]Tonight it's grilled pizzas, tomorrow its grilled wings, saturday may be the flat irons and sunday or monday its ribs and brats! I just LOVE holidays![p]
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Rumrunner,[p]Nice, thanks Steve. I braise that cut often, and it's kind of a shame to cut out that nice gelatinous piece in the middle, but I will try it.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • huha99
    huha99 Posts: 16
    Rumrunner,
    glad to see the pictoral. I actually posted a few questions about it yesterday in the other world...I forgot that those don't find their way over here. Haywyre and PizzandQ were kind enough to respond. I am going to try these this weekend. Thanks!

• Rumrunner
    drbbq, years ago we would cut steaks, about ½", parallel with the face. We called them "Butter Steaks". There is another tough membrane on the outside of this cut, which is also hard to chew, but luckily most stores will cut it off before displaying. That 'gelatinous' center will go into hamburger at store level.[p]I see these in Publix most of the time. Today Sweetbay had a bunch of them reduced to $1.49 a pound ;) Those eight steaks I cut ended up costing me 75¢ a piece...can't beat that!

• Rumrunner,
    what are they named at publix..asked the butcher at my publix he never heard of a flat iron steak.

• Rumrunner
    robroo, that's not surprising. Most chain supermarkets today forgot what "continueing education" for it's employees means.[p]You will find it in the Beef Roast section labeled "Boneless Beef Chuck Top Blade Roast". Sometimes the word "Chuck" may be replaced by "Shoulder" or "Clod", but as long as "Top Blade Roast" is there, you got it.