Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New lump at home depot

Options
Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time I've seen this lump anywhere. What's the verdict?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's all carbon.  slightly different personalities, but at the end of the day, charcoal is charcoal.

there's a bad bag from every maker once in a while, and every brand has its adherents.  i would give it a shot.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    Thanks. Here is another addition I found at home depot today. Anyone cook with alder wood?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • stike
    Options
    lots of folks smoke cedar on alder planks.  sort of a cross between a soft and hard wood.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    I use Alder on all of my salmon smokes.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    stike said:

lots of folks smoke cedar on alder planks.  sort of a cross between a soft and hard wood.

i love smoked cedar with Alder.. lol jk. Stike means Salmon or fish, with alder.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I used those alder chips this Sunday on a 10hr salmon smoke and it came out great
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Alder is also great for the 15 minute salmon
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Options
    That's great I have been looking everywhere for alder, me colleague is German and his mother is going to give me a Kessler recipe which is usually smoked with alder. Cheers
  • Stoater
    Options
    Darn autocorrect kassler
  • Stoater
    Options
    Come to think of it Don Marco i am sure would have a great recipe, Don Marco Helfen Mir bitte!
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Options
    I always use alder when smoking salmon
  • stike
    Options
    i mean cedar.  i like to smoke cedar with alder. 
    :-/

(yeah, meant salmon.  good catch and thanks.  i was thinking salmon, typing cedar.  zoinks. hahaha)
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I use it all the time...works well...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good song about Lump here.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2vMwvqIyk
    Options
    Funny...just bought a bag of this yesterday to try out. Tonight is the night. Will report back.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That lump is the worst I have ever used. It sparked so much when I closed the lid sparks were shooting out the top. I used the rest of it in a clean burn the other day glad its gone.
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    That lump is the worst I have ever used. It sparked so much when I closed the lid sparks were shooting out the top. I used the rest of it in a clean burn the other day glad its gone.
    So I have that to look forward to.  ;-)

-----------
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    What's wrong with spark. Non sparking lump sucks.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Much as you might not want to buy another bag to find out, you can't really judge a brand by one bag.  I've used plenty of Publix Greenwise lump.  It's been my primary egg fuel source for the past couple years.  I've had one bag that was terribly sparky.  The rest has been fine.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The sparking should subside after the coals get burning fully.
    only has two choices here....bge lump @ 25 bucks for 20 lbs...or ozark natural lump @ 4 buck for 10 lbs @ harps grocery.wish i had more choices....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    if the Ozark natural lump you are talking about is Ozark oak you are lucky that is good stuff. I have tried alot of lump and they all spark some but that true cue was sparking around the plate setter a half hour after it was lit and getting ash on my chicken. On the clean burn I did it was all glowing and still popping everywhere and the egg was at 700. I have never seen lump like that.

• Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    Options
    Great thread here. Nice read thanks.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    I used those alder chips this Sunday on a 10hr salmon smoke and it came out great
    Would like details, please!   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options

+1
  • Wally_Wabash_03
    Options
    +2 -- Can you start a new thread and give us the blow by blow on how to get this done?
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Funny...just bought a bag of this yesterday to try out. Tonight is the night. Will report back.
    I just did turkey burgers last night, so did not go slow and low or anything tricky, but I thought this lump was decent.  It was a little harder to start than normal (RO or BGE for instance), but once it got going it worked good.  The bag I bought also had a lot of very large pieces in it as well.  No sparking at all, though I have not had many problems with that with others either.  I will finish this bag out and weigh my options.  Not too shabby though.

-----------
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options
    Much as you might not want to buy another bag to find out, you can't really judge a brand by one bag.  I've used plenty of Publix Greenwise lump.  It's been my primary egg fuel source for the past couple years.  I've had one bag that was terribly sparky.  The rest has been fine.

Funny that you said that. My first bag of Publix brand shot a nice sized ember just above my eyelid and burned the crap out of me. I was trying to figure out if I had blinded myself. Meanwhile, my 3-year old daughter was saying "it's okay daddy." me: "I'm not sure if it is, Pumpkin . . ." At any rate, I can still see, but I've written off the Publix brand.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL