Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday grub (Boston Butt)

Options
Cymbaline65
Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did an 8 hour cook of a relatively small (5.5lbs) Boston Butt yesterday. Bad Byron's Butt Rub and Jack Daniels wood chips. Total cook time was eight hours at 275 dome temp. One hour resting in a cooler. Served up with toasted buns and coleslaw. Food went too fast but I did get a pic when it hit 190 degrees. Took abount one hour to get the temp to stay at 275. It kept fluctuating 10-20 degrees, but when I got it "locked in", it was fire and forget the whole cook. Gotta love it.
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Food going fast is always a good sign.  Good job!! :)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Thanks, Cazzy. You know, I'm surprised how few people mention the JD wood chips in their cooks. I love them and they work with pork and poultry so well. I do like to change it up frequently, hickory is the tried-and-true standby. Love oak, alder, pecan and cherry. When you soak the JD chips for about 1hr, it smells just like a JD on the rocks. :D
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Never tried the JD chips. Need to try as a lot of peeps use them around here.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    I did the same thing yesterday with jack chips.  My best butt yet.  I dont know if the chips made a difference but they sure did smell good.. a muted version of actually smelling the liquor at the distillery.  How much do u guys put in it?
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

@Kristinnn: I used two handfull for the entire cook. I'd say around 1 cup of chips. Although evidence seems to be contrary, I do soak them for at least 1hr so they don't burn so quickly. I added the chips in the beginning 4 hours. How much did you use?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't soak them anymore, I just scatter them over the top of the lump right before I throw the food on.
    Options
    i read to not bother soaking so i didnt..plus it was time to put it on. :)  i put like 8 chips in there... i could have sworn i read to not put many but these were tiny so i wasnt sure and didnt want to overdo it.  next time a handful or two it is
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I throw a couple fist fulls in.  I'm trying to only buy/find/use chunks now.  They burn slower.
    Options
    In re-thinking my earlier post, I'd say probably 2 cups of chips total. As for the whole soaking thing, I've found that Mesquite soaked in beer is a nice flavor - especially for ribs. It mellows out the harsher Mesquite taste. Of course that means you have to sacrifice a beer for the cause... =P~
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    good idea. that was my first time trying out wood chips so i was clueless but its making me want to go outside and sniff the bag again
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    As mentioned above, while there is no need to soak chips, soaking the JD chips does produce a great aroma.  I use chips all the time and spread them throughout the lump load-figure where there is fire there is smoke.  I unscientifically equate a good handful of chips to a chunk. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.