Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder in fridge for a week - OK?

Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited July 2012 in Pork
Howdy,

Was supposed to do some pulled pork this weekend - long story short, didn't get around to it. 

So, I suggested we keep the pork in the fridge till Fri or Sat & I'd do it then. 

Significant other says that she's afraid the meat will be bad by then, and she's bound & determined to throw a perfectly good chunk of shoulder in the crock pot & do it that way!!!  I'm saying this is sacrilege, considering we have 1 of the world's BEST smokers sitting outside!!  X(

Obviously, I've heard of aged steak before, and I've actually let chicken sit in the fridge for a week b4 cooking it, and I'm still alive... so pork shouldn't be any different, should it? 

I believe it's in the original packaging right now - if I can keep it for another 4-5 days, should I take it out of the packaging, or leave it the way it is??

TIA,
Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    it's fine. leave it in the cryo (if it's in cryo).

there is no such thing as a 'goes bad' date for meat.  the 'sell by' date or 'best by' date means it is the last day on which the PRODUCER says that it is in PEAK condition.  people need to understand this.  nothing goes bad the day after the sell by date.  it is at PEAK on the sell by date, and only tapers off in quality after that. 

proper fridge temps, and you are fine for a lot longer than your wife may think.

pork is no different than beef.  your greatest risk of illness from commercially produced american foods would be the greens in the salad you might be serving with the pork.  but certainly not the pork
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    thanks Stike - that's what I figured.  Just wanted confirmation to show the GF...

Also, should I keep it in the original packaging, or open it up & let it "breathe"? 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • hmmm... I must've clicked on your answer when you only had the very first sentence posted, and you must've went back & edited it to the longer version...

at any rate, you've already answered my question(s) - so thanks!!
  • I would not open from the original packaging until 24-36 hours before smoking.......that is when you want to apply the dry rub on it.  If you "let it breathe", it will introduce oxygen to the meat which will speed up the maturing (or in this case souring) process.  Hopefully, the pork was not on its last leg (i.e. sale by date was this past weekend) and soured by the time you unpack it.  Good Luck!!
  • stike
    yeah.  i think my first postr was "it's fine".  then i figured there might be more to it.... hahahaha
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If it smells good, cook it over burning wood.
    unwrapped meat won't really sour that quickly.  i just don't think you want to toughen the exterior by unwrapping it.  it would tighten and firm up in a week's time, like beef does.  no need for that with pulled pork.

if it is cryo, btw, don't freak if you smell sulphur when you open it.  it's a product of the cryo process.  if you have it in the regular foam meat tray from the market, that's fine too.  but that stuff is oxygen permeable.  it may darken a little.  but there's no harm in that either
  • Eggie
    Eggie Posts: 5
    Love this thread! Having been having this argument with my hubby for 14 years!! There is a total role reversal here! I am meat loving, XL Green Egg BBQin' girlie girl and he likes chicken and fish! LOL ;-)  
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    @Eggie I <3 that you are the meat lover,  me too!

Oh the boys will have fun with that one!!
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    Hey, if meat is bad it will let you know when you open the package.  The reeker smell is what I call it...sour as hell.  Last chicken I opened it on best sold by date and pewwwwww, I took it back and got a  refund.
  • stike
    just for info purposes. "sell by" dates are not expiration dates.  the food is actually supposed to be at peak on the sell-by date (last date in peak condition, as determined by the seller).

there is no food that actually goes 'bad' on its sell-by or best-by date.
    and only baby formula is required to have an actual 'expiration' date.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    From http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm210073.htm

With the exception of infant formula, the laws that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) administers do not preclude the sale of food that is past the expiration date indicated on the label. FDA does not require food firms to place "expired by", "use by" or "best before" dates on food products. This information is entirely at the discretion of the manufacturer.

A principle of U.S. food law is that foods in U.S. commerce must be wholesome and fit for consumption. A "best by", "use by" or expiration date does not relieve a firm from this obligation. A product that is dangerous to consumers would be subject to potential action by FDA to remove it from commerce regardless of any date printed on a label.
    yeah. like i said.