Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Out of lump. Going shopping this afternoon, any brand suggestions?

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to Home Despot, Lowes and Academy, among a few other places.  Any recommendations on lump assuming these chains sell the same stuff?

I've been buying Sam's club mequite lump and I hate it, mostly because every bag is 25% dust.  And because I don't necessarily want everything to taste like mequite.

I want something neutral tasting so I can control the flavor via chunks.  Yes, I've looked at the naked wiz's reviews, but I don't know what these chains are selling. I'll have my phone so I can check the reviews, but I don't want to go to all three stores and then go back to one of them.

Thanks in advance, kind eggers.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you'l have a hard time at those places.  the big boxes around here sell only briquettes.  ace sells roayl oak and or cowboy.  cowboy has lately been so good for me that i no longer drive to my sure-fire Royal Oak connection
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    Do you have a Wegmans grocery? I have been having good luck with theirs. Got a bag of Wicked Good from Dizzy Pig. The chunks were so large it was hard to get started.
  • nolaegghead
    We do have Ace hardware stores all over the place, Cowboy it may be.  The Academy interweb site has B & B, if they carry in the store, any thoughts on that?  Nude wiz user review has it like a 3.8 on their richter scale.
    i agree with stike you will have a hard time at those places in CA (not sure where you are at) those places only carry cowboy small bags Walmart for RO is always a good place to stop if you can deal with the walmart people 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    not BGE!!!!! see my recent post....tons of dust and pieces around 1x2 inches
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The Ace Hardware here sells Wicker Good Weekend Warrior.  Very neutral tasting and a good burn.  Lots of large pieces.  
    We don't have a Wegman's down here in New Orleans.  We do have Ace and we do have Wal-farts. 

krobertsman - yeah, I saw your pics, my Sam's club bag looked even worse, like it was Sam's Clubbed over and over until reduced to tiny unusable particles....
    Just order wicked good online @ ACE and pick up @ your local store.
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    LOL!!! Sam's CLUBBED!!!!! into tiny pieces.....
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Good idea.  I'll consider that, there's an Ace down the street.  I need some for this weekend too.
    WG from ace order online no shipping charge to the store royal oak at walmart and wegmans lump all those have been really good for me i tried frontier brand from BJ's wasn't happy with the bag i got but was there today and grabbed another bag to try it again . cowboy i didn't care for at all 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    I was able to get Frontier Brand atbthe BJ'S club near my house. 34 lb bag for $19.99 and try first two cooks with it went well. The lump is good sized and lit easily with good burn.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Before you order on line give the local store(Ace) a chance, my local store manager said since I had ordered online, he would order some and keep it in stock. His price is actually cheaper slightly, and the local store gets the sale, if you order online the corporation gets all the proceeds.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • nolaegghead
    I think Sam's club has this guy delivering their lump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiTo13fPKVk
    @tactical_66 saw someplace else you said that i believe thats why am giving it another shot btw went to joes and got a packer brisket going on tonight around 10 also got  a ton of other meat. 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    Before you order on line give the local store(Ace) a chance, my local store manager said since I had ordered online, he would order some and keep it in stock. His price is actually cheaper slightly, and the local store gets the sale, if you order online the corporation gets all the proceeds.
    Cool, I always feel so guilty ordering stuff via the interwebz, I do like to support the local biz.
  • We do have Ace hardware stores all over the place, Cowboy it may be.  The Academy interweb site has B & B, if they carry in the store, any thoughts on that?  Nude wiz user review has it like a 3.8 on their richter scale.
    B&B sucks. It was pretty good for years but it has gotten worse over the past few years. It's sparky as hell and hard to light. It's all over down here (it's made in TX, I think) but it's gone from really good to about the same as best of the west in my book. FWIW- I used BOTW for years and it was great but the last several bags I've gotten have been crap. Full of dust. I actually went to buy some last week and it as so bad you could hear the dust rattling around in there. I just left it.

Ozark Oak, Royal Oak, Wicked Good, BGE (Royal oak at 2X the price) are all available out there and are good choices. haven't used cowboy in a while but Stikey Likey so it's probably OK

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Cool. I'm headed out in 5 minutes, good advice, thanks!
    Nola - I did the acehardware.com weekend warrior order last week and so far so good. Have you tried Basil Ace on Transcontinental? When I lived in Nola they always had the biggest selection of BBQ stuff, at least in my opinion.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I was cruising along the past few months with RO from the local WM. Today I went to stock up and no lump! Seasonal?! I've settled for Publix, who had Cowboy at like 1.5x what I was paying for RO. Guessong I'm in for a dusty letdown.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @steveWPBFL go to the WM site do a search for RO then stores within a 25miles or  of you and it will show who has it and if out of stock and they are getting it back in will ask if you wanna be notified by e-mail 
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited July 2012
    Hey, thanks bigphil!
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    @bigphil I gave a bag to my buddy and he is having good luck with I as well
  • nolaegghead
    Nola - I did the acehardware.com weekend warrior order last week and so far so good. Have you tried Basil Ace on Transcontinental? When I lived in Nola they always had the biggest selection of BBQ stuff, at least in my opinion.
    No, I'll have to check 'em out.  There's an Ace about a mile away from me on General Meyers that I can order WW from.  They closed by the time we got back from the 6 other stores we went to.

I ended up copping out and just buying some B&B...turns out I used it before, just didn't notice the packaging until I bought more.  It'll hold me over until I can get set up with Ace.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate the help.

I am a little excited about picking up a bottle of Melinda's naga jolokia hot sauce while at World Market, they also had a 1-day only 1L EVOO sale for $5...stocked up on that.  I'm a hot sauce FREAK.

I was cruising along the past few months with RO from the local WM. Today I went to stock up and no lump! Seasonal?! I've settled for Publix, who had Cowboy at like 1.5x what I was paying for RO. Guessong I'm in for a dusty letdown.
    Steve, is there a Western Beef near you? I have one near me in Boca. They usually sell the 17.6 lb. bag for $10. Nice big pieces. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Nola - you should give them a call and see what lump they sell. Like I said, I haven't been there since Katrina but they had it all way back when.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I am using B&B from Academy Sports (local store) and am pretty happy with it. But, I haven't yet used anything else to compare it to.

Tim
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    I did 6 bags of WGWW on Ace's free shipping special. Density is good but I'd est 35% of bag weight is small chips. I use these up by putting them atop a well-lit pile of coals but they do pose airflow probs for low & slow cooks. I'd guess the Argentine Source is the same one as provides for Kamado Joe branded lump.
    In short, WGWW is far from perfect.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I did 6 bags of WGWW on Ace's free shipping special. Density is good but I'd est 35% of bag weight is small chips. I use these up by putting them atop a well-lit pile of coals but they do pose airflow probs for low & slow cooks.
    I've had very few small chips in any wicked good I've used. Perhaps they were mishandled in shipping. Maybe they were delivered by that Fedex guy in the video up above.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA