Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Main Forum vs. Sub Forums- Etiquette?

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I dunno how the rest of you feel, but I prefer that all questions/how to's etc be posted in the main egghead forum and not under "beef" or "poultry" etc. I never use those and thought those were more for recipes. I recommend that anyone that has a question on how to do something egg related use the main forum and post your recipes to the sub forums. There have been a few good questions and people needing help on the sub forums today and they are getting zero responses. Everybody cool with that or am I opening Pandora's box that has been addressed hundreds of times before I got here?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never heard of Emily Post and BGE etiquette...That said, first time I have seen this question raised and I'm in the Cen-Tex camp here (do I have a judgement issue?:)).  Perhaps the Mothership will rain on this parade and get us all in line!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Sub-forum? Never been there.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I suppose that may help them get faster responses by those that monitor that main forum.  I don't look at any of the forums.  I use "Recent Discussions" and the Search feature, so it wouldn't make any difference in my response time.
    Options
    I suppose that may help them get faster responses by those that monitor that main forum.  I don't look at any of the forums.  I use "Recent Discussions" and the Search feature, so it wouldn't make any difference in my response time.
    I also use "Recent Discussions"
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm a main forum cruiser but will start using recent discussions too. These guys were getting left hanging with some perfectly reasonable questions that would have been answered in a second on the main. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i think that is just a holdover from the old forum where it was origionally a cookkbook of recipes, when/whoever set it up on this forum didnt realize or understand it was a recipe section and set it up as individual forums. maybe they should fix that, click on cookbook and it brings you to all the forums
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i think that is just a holdover from the old forum where it was origionally a cookkbook of recipes, when/whoever set it up on this forum didnt realize or understand it was a recipe section and set it up as individual forums. maybe they should fix that, click on cookbook and it brings you to all the forums
    You click on "Beef" and it says "Beef Recipes" on the main page. That's why I never look over there. But then I noticed today that there are several peeps looking for questions on "how to_______beef" which I never see because I don't go there
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ...where the underscore is "not EFF up"...

For any neophytes reading this, I've noticed some overly ambiguous questions.  If you already bought some thing and you want suggestions on how you can turn it into a delicious egg-cooked culinary masterpiece, please describe what it is with as much detail as possible. 

For example:

Ambiguous:
    "I have some beef.  How can I cook it?"

Unambigous:
    "I have some 1.5" thick top sirloin steaks.  I'm a Libra and I only have mequite charcoal.  I'm allergic to salt and sea urchins.  I like beef medium rare.  How can I cook it?
    Options
    @nolaegghead, you forgot to include how the poster is feeling emotionally, and the relative health status of all the family pets.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    How could I have been so forgetful!?
    Options
    for me there are two forums.  main forum, and OT.  i keep it on 'latest posts' all the time
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I think I'm one of the reasons you're asking this :)

I just figured it made sense to ask beef-specific questions in the beef sub-forum, pork questions in the pork sub-forum, etc.  If the people who do the bulk of the answering prefer all questions in the [main] egghead forum, I'm happy to post there.

Are the subforums (they do appear to be under "cookbook") meant as more of a place to post "I have this great recipe for X"?
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I just figured it made sense to ask beef-specific questions in the beef sub-forum, pork questions in the pork sub-forum, etc.  If the people who do the bulk of the answering prefer all questions in the [main] egghead forum, I'm happy to post there.

Are the subforums (they do appear to be under "cookbook") meant as more of a place to post "I have this great recipe for X"?
    That's cool, I think cen-tex meant "protocol" rather than "etiquette", which suggests a connotative meaning if not followed.  He's just trying to get people's posts answered faster.
    Options
    I mainly look at the forum on my phone and that's always on recent discussions fwiw.
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

You were one of them. I noticed that you got no answers and your question would have been addressed here very quickly. Just didn't want people to be left hanging and I wasn't really sure what the best way to address it was.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I mainly look at the forum on my phone and that's always on recent discussions fwiw.
    Correct. I always get most recent on my iPhone but I don't see much outside the main forum on my computer. I'll just go to recent and that should handle it for me. 

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Centex - I just saw your post about this... didn't even know you could split the forum up as I just use "Recent Discussions" & "Latest Posts" to view - that way, I can see any & all activity, regardless of where it is at. 

I guess I'm in the camp of posting to specific sub-groups.  For instance, I just posted a pulled pork cook I did in the "Pork" group, as well as a salmon cook I did in the "Seafood" group. 

I did give recipes for both, though. 

Although, I was wondering why you weren't commenting on my posts, and was becoming depressed =((
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm all recent discussions now. For some reason, I never made than connection so i was only using egghead forum. So my suggestion is to use "recent discussions" then you'll see everything....and I just saw your pork thread and I'm doing it tonight. Depression over! :))