Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sirloin help

KristinnnKristinnn Posts: 133
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want my sirloin med rare to med
i have the cast iron grate

how do i cook it? 

ive had my egg for two months and ive cooked everything BUT steak on it :)

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,348
    If it's sirloin steak around 1.5" you can try this http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

• KristinnnKristinnn Posts: 133
    that was a lot of reading.  a lot different than i expected.  never had to egg to 750.. seems scary :)
    You can also just throw them on direct at 400 and cook to 130F.  Nothing wrong with simple.

• When I bought my egg a couple weeks ago, the salesman told me to heat it up as hot as it would go (600+). Then, throw the steaks on for 2 minutes. Open and flip the steaks. Wait another 2 minutes. Then, completely close the bottom and top so that the fire snuffs out and the temperature drops. Wait 4 minutes and take the steaks off.

I tried that with sirloin, and they came off a perfect medium rare. I was a big hit with my wife and kids! Even my picky-eater-son had thirds.

To season the steaks, I just brushed on some olive oil and a steak rub.
    When I bought my egg a couple weeks ago, the salesman told me to heat it up as hot as it would go (600+). Then, throw the steaks on for 2 minutes. Open and flip the steaks. Wait another 2 minutes. Then, completely close the bottom and top so that the fire snuffs out and the temperature drops. Wait 4 minutes and take the steaks off.

I tried that with sirloin, and they came off a perfect medium rare. I was a big hit with my wife and kids! Even my picky-eater-son had thirds.

To season the steaks, I just brushed on some olive oil and a steak rub.
    If you see that salesman again, ask him if he has an egg.....

If you snuff the coals with food in it, you can get a strong, disagreeable chemical taste.  You'll get a better result pulling them off and let them sit for 20 minutes while you cool down the egg slowly with the top spider open and the bottom choked down to half an inch or so.  When the temp is down to 400, throw them back on and cook them to temp. 

If you thought those were good, your head will explode with these.

• I'll definitely give that a try next time. Thanks for the tip.
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,485
    You can also just throw them on direct at 400 and cook to 130F.  Nothing wrong with simple.
    With the addition of lowered grid, that is exactly what I do.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

thanks guys :)  i may try the 400 suggestion..not sure im ready for 750
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    It's Ford vs. Chevy (Chevy sucks BTW). I'm all about the reverse sear personally. I think it's more tender, tastes better, and way easier to heat the egg up at the end than it is to cool it down,
    XL BGE
    i will have to try all 3 ways.  Thanks for the idea chuff