Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip - Reverse Sear or Initial Sear

Options
2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's a triangular cut.  there's only one cut that is tri-tip, but that doesn't mean people aren't selling something else, or confusing sirloin tip for tri-tip,
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @cmkratt - I've never seen a tri-tip that looked like that. What part of the country are you in?
    It's marketed by the Stingray Scallop company.
    ahhhh. the elusive stingray scallop. I've tried to make fried scallops out of stingray wings. they were good but not the same. 
    You really have to pay extra for the "Diver" stingrays to make it worth it.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yeah mine always look like large triangles and then recently at Cosco I've seen that now they look like strips and I'm wondering they're still labeled try tip but they look nothing like the larger tri-tip. so now they offer both the triangle tri- tip and the strip tri- tip I am watching for you guys to buy the strip so sticking with the triangular size.
    More than likely it's just a whole tri-tip cut up into steaks. I see those in the stores all the time. They don't make great steaks. They're better cooked whole.
    @cmkratt - I've never seen a tri-tip that looked like that. What part of the country are you in?
    It's marketed by the Stingray Scallop company.
    ahhhh. the elusive stingray scallop. I've tried to make fried scallops out of stingray wings. they were good but not the same. 
    You really have to pay extra for the "Diver" stingrays to make it worth it.
    Are those the wet packed or the dry packed? I never mess with wet packed diver stingrays. Dry is the only way to go.
    XL BGE
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    Options
    The Tri-tip in my pic is from HEB north of Houston. They're usually triangular shaped. This one wasn't.