Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin help

Options
Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want my sirloin med rare to med
i have the cast iron grate

how do i cook it? 

ive had my egg for two months and ive cooked everything BUT steak on it :)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it's sirloin steak around 1.5" you can try this http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    Options
    that was a lot of reading.  a lot different than i expected.  never had to egg to 750.. seems scary :)
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can also just throw them on direct at 400 and cook to 130F.  Nothing wrong with simple.
    Options
    When I bought my egg a couple weeks ago, the salesman told me to heat it up as hot as it would go (600+). Then, throw the steaks on for 2 minutes. Open and flip the steaks. Wait another 2 minutes. Then, completely close the bottom and top so that the fire snuffs out and the temperature drops. Wait 4 minutes and take the steaks off.

I tried that with sirloin, and they came off a perfect medium rare. I was a big hit with my wife and kids! Even my picky-eater-son had thirds.

To season the steaks, I just brushed on some olive oil and a steak rub.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    When I bought my egg a couple weeks ago, the salesman told me to heat it up as hot as it would go (600+). Then, throw the steaks on for 2 minutes. Open and flip the steaks. Wait another 2 minutes. Then, completely close the bottom and top so that the fire snuffs out and the temperature drops. Wait 4 minutes and take the steaks off.

I tried that with sirloin, and they came off a perfect medium rare. I was a big hit with my wife and kids! Even my picky-eater-son had thirds.

To season the steaks, I just brushed on some olive oil and a steak rub.
    If you see that salesman again, ask him if he has an egg.....

If you snuff the coals with food in it, you can get a strong, disagreeable chemical taste.  You'll get a better result pulling them off and let them sit for 20 minutes while you cool down the egg slowly with the top spider open and the bottom choked down to half an inch or so.  When the temp is down to 400, throw them back on and cook them to temp. 

If you thought those were good, your head will explode with these.

Options
    I'll definitely give that a try next time. Thanks for the tip.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    You can also just throw them on direct at 400 and cook to 130F.  Nothing wrong with simple.
    With the addition of lowered grid, that is exactly what I do.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Kristinnn
    Options
    thanks guys :)  i may try the 400 suggestion..not sure im ready for 750
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    It's Ford vs. Chevy (Chevy sucks BTW). I'm all about the reverse sear personally. I think it's more tender, tastes better, and way easier to heat the egg up at the end than it is to cool it down,
    XL BGE
  • Kristinnn
    Options
    i will have to try all 3 ways.  Thanks for the idea chuff