Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland...where to buy one

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me where to buy a Rutland gasket? I've had enough of the temp soluitons and want to move on. I've been running without for weeks and it's been a total PITA for me. I have a nomex but figured as long as I have it stripped down, I may as well just do it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    I see them on E Bay
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    any hardware store.

it's a fire place gasket.  flat , not round.  skip their adhesive (it comes with it).  most folks use the permatex hi-temp gasket maker/sealant instead.  the rutland adhesive is for steel doors (nonporous)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Ace Hardware..

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Ace Hardware..
    I as hoping I could go local. We aren't big into fireplaces here (we live on the surface of the sun) but I'll see if my shop has one.

• TUTTLE871
    Ace Hardware..
    I as hoping I could go local. We aren't big into fireplaces here (we live on the surface of the sun) but I'll see if my shop has one.

Today it feels like the center of the sun. I went into my local Ace Hardware and asked about it and the ordered it fo me. I think 11 Bucks or something and it came with the adhesive.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Ace Hardware..

Today it feels like the center of the sun. I went into my local Ace Hardware and asked about it and the ordered it fo me. I think 11 Bucks or something and it came with the adhesive.
    Thanks I am looking on the Rutland site and I don't see it. DO you have a pic or remember the part # by any chance?

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited July 2012
    You're looking for the Rutland 5/8" x 84" tape (#90), should you find multiple options in a store. If you're wanting to gasket an XL, you'll need 108" of it, which means you have to find someone who will sell it to you by the foot off of a bulk spool (#720). It also only goes on the bottom or the top, but not both, as it's thicker than the felt gasket.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • TUTTLE871

Says Item NO  96W-6

I got the 5/8" Rope 7 Foot Length

Im not sure if Rope is what the Naked Whiz Website said but it seemed to work just fine. It really worked well after I did a 20 Hour cook on it.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    John, make sure you get the flat, check naked whiz, hes got an installation video on it. I am in the same boat, which is why I gave you the Nomex, if I ever put a gasket on, it will be rutland, despite the BS mothership says about fiberglass and food. I know it is fact, but when the gasket is on the lower bowl and not being raised above the food as it would on the lid, I dont feel it to be any problem. Let me know what you do.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• You're looking for the Rutland 5/8" x 84" tape (#90), should you find multiple options in a store. If you're wanting to gasket an XL, you'll need 108" of it, which means you have to find someone who will sell it to you by the foot off of a bulk spool.
    Thanks Shed. I'm doing a large. Like I said, we don't have a bunch of fireplace shops down here (104 today) so it may be an order type deal. I'll go look for one though.

Thanks Tuttle! I saw the rope but that's not what i saw other people using. It was a tape.

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Got mine from Amazon.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Ron Pratt from the old BGE site sells them cut to size because he buys them in bulk.  Ill see if I can find his number 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Of course the mothership is going to recommend not using them because they don't want to adopt that liability.  (do at your own risk).  It's my understanding the Rutland gasket material isn't friable enough to be a concern, plus, it gets a patina of grease and goo that helps keep it together.

I know a guy that used to work at Coors, and he said they used to cold filter their beer through asbestos.

Nice! Thanks
  • McStew
    email Ron Pratt at ron.pat@comcast.net
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    might not wanna put the dude's email on the net.  just saying.

• McStew
    thanks strike ... I didnt think about that, I just pulled it from another post 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    douchebag marketers (sorry, redundant) have web-crawling programs that troll the internet and use regular expressions to find email addresses. It's ok in this forum but you want to obfuscate it like john(.)smith at comcast.net
    you can always go back and edit the post.  hover over your post and you'll see a wheel (cog) pop up.  click it, and it'll take you back to the post you made and you can edit it.