Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing burgers for first time on the XL egg....Any suggestions?

Options
Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

All,

Doing burgers for first time on the XL egg....Any suggestions?

Ice

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My $0.2 is, how you make the patty is more important than the cooking.

1. Season the burger meat, mixing the seasoning into the meat.  Don't overwork it.
    2. Make the patty very gingerly so you have air in the burger meat.  Don't pack it into a dense hockey puck.

Those two steps make a great burger over what people intuitively do, which is make a hocky puck and season the outside of it.

Cook any way you like.  I like my burgers medium rare.  If you want to follow FDA guidelines for food safety, cook them at least to whatever the "safe" temp is - 145 F or something.
    If you can raise the grid, I recommend it. Raised direct seems to be the best way to do them
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks, I have it set up on high sear but my gut told me to put it direct but raised.  I appreciate the feedback.  I am learning something on every cook and love it more each time.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    If you haven't yet, try stuffing the burger with different cheeses. Jalapeños Ect. Been doing for a while now and family and friends love it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks, I have it set up on high sear but my gut told me to put it direct but raised.  I appreciate the feedback.  I am learning something on every cook and love it more each time.
    rubmyrock did a burger cook last week where he did some at normal level and some raised. All the raised came out perfect. the ones cooked lower charred pretty bad by the time they were ready. He had pics and all if you want to see what he did.

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Yes and for God's sake, don't shut the damn vents....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2012
    Options
    My two cents is to have the butcher cut a few lbs off a brisket and grind into hamburger. At homeTo that add chopped red onions and some seasoning. Just so we are all on the same page, grill with the top closed. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yes and for God's sake, don't shut the @#!*% vents....
    ha- forgot about that part