Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Timer!

LongboardR
LongboardR Posts: 101
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

My wife suprised me with a Big Green Egg for my birthday. Long time gasser and smoker. I have wanted an egg for the longest time. Since Sunday, I have served bacon wrapped scallops, smoked chicken, grilled shrimp and last night cedar planked a salmon. I got a nice big Scamp Grouper I am doing this weekend! Anyway, first time post. Lots to learn still but super happy so far!

Comments

• A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Welcome LongboardR  If you branch out from the fish and seafood, try some chicken wings or a pork butt.  Both easy cooks and very tasty.  Enjoy your egg.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Welcome to the cult, no looking back now. You are going to love it and you will learn plenty here.

Now on to your name....LongboardR....where you at and what kind of board do you ride? I used to be into surfing. Still have 3 boards stashed at my inlaws house. Try to get out when I go down there.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Welcome aboard. Glad to have you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Welcome and it sounds like your off to a great start. Heck bacon wrapped scallops sounds great.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Welcome!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome!

My wife suprised me with a Big Green Egg for my birthday. Long time gasser and smoker.

I just got mine for my birthday, too, last Friday! I have grilled chicken breasts and slow-cooked beef ribs and a cured picnic. Everything has come out wonderfully, and I'm sure I will get better with experience.

I am beginning if my trusty old CharBroil charcoal grill will ever be used, again. I have had it for 21 years and it's still almost as good as new.

Tim
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101

Thanks for the nice welcome!

@Griffin-I am a Florida boy and like you think my better surfing days are behind me now but I do paddle out with the kids a few times a year. I am a weekly fisherman and do okay at putting meat on the table. I also dive a little too and enjoy shooting fish. I hope to expore a few things like smoke kingfish, whole grilled Hogfish etc...

@ratcheer- we can learn together..

Thanks again!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Can't wait to see that kingfish.

Me, I can't "shred" it like I used to, now my go to board is the longboard. Haven't taken a shortboard out in a while....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Longboard welcome. What part of Fl are you in? Seafood is very good on the Egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.