Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg MSRP

2»

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I feel like I got a good deal but I had to shop my region.
    Most stuck pretty close to the same price.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

That's not a bad idea.

My local dealer robs people. They wanted 800 for lbge only. And they do a gimmick that the price quoted is only good for 7 days that they going up next shipment cause of demand from the mother ship, new model, etc. they even called me and said sir we just wanted to let you know that we only have one egg left and the price is going up tomorrow. If you come in now we can do 800. And I said thanks but I bought one yesterday for 650 at another dealer. They hung up on me. Clasy right?

I would do up a post and name them. Then I'd email them the link.

XLBGE 
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    Having one price nationwide is price fixing and illegal.  In a free market system, operators with lower overhead will always try to sell below the suggested list price to win new customers or keep existing from shopping.  I am sure that BGE doesn't sell every distributor at the same price which makes it even more challenging for retailers.  Don't be upset by our system that has worked so well at keeping prices in check for decades.  As soon as someone gets greedy, their customers will leave and they will be out of business.  Look at Circuit City and many others and you can see that the customer is who determines the success of the retailer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Having one price nationwide is price fixing and illegal.  In a free market system, operators with lower overhead will always try to sell below the suggested list price to win new customers or keep existing from shopping.  I am sure that BGE doesn't sell every distributor at the same price which makes it even more challenging for retailers.  Don't be upset by our system that has worked so well at keeping prices in check for decades.  As soon as someone gets greedy, their customers will leave and they will be out of business.  Look at Circuit City and many others and you can see that the customer is who determines the success of the retailer.
    Festool does this, I looked into the legality and found a thread.  I copied this from the thread:

In an article by Mike Cox, the Michigan Attorney General, he sates the
    following:

"A manufacturer does have a legal right to set a suggested retail price
    (a manufacturer's suggested retail price or MSRP). The manufacturer also
    has the right to unilaterally terminate a retailer who prices below the
    MSRP. Frequently, when prices are identical for a product at every
    store, it is because each retailer has decided to adhere to the MSRP. "

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-34739_17343_18163-44650--,00.html

Um, I'm sorry to say it but you're wrong. A manufacturer is well within their rights to require all dealers to sell that manufacturer's product at a certain price and there is nothing about it whatsoever that is illegal. It's a very common practice. Others require a "minimum advertised price" which is why you have to sometimes put something in your cart at Amazon to see the price. 

Now if BGE, Komado Joe, and a few other ceramic cooker companies got together and set prices across all brands then that would be a problem.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    Most illegal price fixing is done with commodities through collusion between manufacturers or distributors.
    Weber sets minimum advertised price which is what most dealers sell at. You normally only see about a dollar or two difference no matter where you shop for a Weber grill. If a dealer is found not following the MAP pricing they could lose the dealership for that profit. At times when Weber makes a line change they may allow dealers to lower their prices to help move older product and bring in the new. This practice is more common than most would think.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Knowing what I know now, I'd only buy an eggfest egg. It's a no brainier.
    Is that a demo that was used at an eggfest or a new boxed egg at an eggfest highly discounted?
    The great thing about buying a smaller size egg at a fest is there is a high chance it will go unused like the small I got at the Salado Fest.  Everyone goes for the larges or XLs.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Most illegal price fixing is done with commodities through collusion between manufacturers or distributors.
    This makes me chuckle. If you remember the whole ADM price fixing scandal in the 90s that the movie The Informant was based on, I went to high school with Mark Whitacre. In fact, he spoke at my graduation. What a debacle that whole thing turned out to be set into motion by a world class scam artist.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    Good movie...it's a small world...
    This makes me chuckle. If you remember the whole ADM price fixing scandal in the 90s that the movie The Informant was based on, I went to high school with Mark Whitacre. In fact, he spoke at my graduation. What a debacle that whole thing turned out to be set into motion by a world class scam artist.

Crap. That should have said "I went to high school with Mark Whitacre's daughter". Always proof read! I'm not quite that old. :D
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, he's about 55

I understand that a manufacturer may terminate a retailer for not adhering to to a MSRP.  Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price is just that the suggested price nothing more.  Most won't lose distribution though for the violation of selling below MSRP.  My point was that if a dealer wants to sell for less/over MSRP that is their choice and there is nothing other than terminating their sales agreement that they can do.
  • nolaegghead
    I understand that a manufacturer may terminate a retailer for not adhering to to a MSRP.  Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price is just that the suggested price nothing more.  Most won't lose distribution though for the violation of selling below MSRP.  My point was that if a dealer wants to sell for less/over MSRP that is their choice and there is nothing other than terminating their sales agreement that they can do.
    Sure, they can sell above or below MSRP even if they have a contract to do so - at least they're not breaking any criminal laws.  But if they DO have a contract with the manufacturer, they may not just be at risk of losing their ability as a factory authorized retailer, they may be liable for civil liability for violating the contract and for any "damages".
    Many companies in many categories such as electronics and high end home appliances take a dealer devaluing their brand very seriously. At best you won't be a dealer for long and at worst you'll find yourself on the business end of a very winnable lawsuit depending on your sales agreement. Not only that but if you continue to obtain the product by some means and sell it your customers will find themselves rolling without a warranty as they are the proud owner of a gray market item. See the camera world or anyone who has purchased a BGE through an online seller as evidence of this.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    Some of these agreements are damn inconvenient as a consumer...I hate having to put stuff in my "cart" just to find out the price.  What a waste of time!
    My wife bought me one for fathers day already assembled with nest and delievered to the house as a surprise(XL). when I found out the price it was more than our house note but she told me they threw in a free bag of charcoal.I won't mention the dealer but if you want a free bag of charcoal and you are in Memphis it's complimentary with every 1500$ purchase!!OUCH
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    I'm not sure how long the mothership is going to stick with this restrictive policy with all the competition showing up. I was at a local dealer the other day who was displaying a Vision kamado right next to the egg for hundreds cheaper. Makes you wonder if all this effort to "protect" the dealer network by BGE is reciprocated - in this case, apparently not.
  • mm8552
    mm8552 Posts: 12
    I bought mine (and we got one for my brother-in-law, too) at The Bargain Barn in Jasper, GA.  $635 for the large.  10% off accessories one the day you buy your egg.  $20/bag for BGE charcoal.  These are the best prices I have found in the northwest Georgia area.