Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Gasket Change

Tak
Tak Posts: 145
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well...took the dive today and changed out my gasket....got a new one from the Mothership and put it on today...think it went ok....doing my slow burn at 250 now.....hope the glue takes....thanks for all the great info here....gave me the confidence to try it....passed the dollar bill test all the way around....

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    What sized BGE and did you pull the dome for the change-out?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tak
    I have a LG....I decided not to pull the dome....I weighed the difficulty of trying to get the dome realign vs. just taking my time....it worked out ok....it is difficult to get the gasket on by the hinge...but....just took my time and got by it....worked out ok....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    thanks for the info-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tak
    NO....it didn't ....I used the 3M 77 I think...it is the spray adhesive....I put the gasket in the dryer after watching fredmusicbbq video.....i'm finishing up my slow burn to get rid of the extra glue and adhesive remover....
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I just got my new one from the mothership it has the adhesive backing does anyone know if I need to use additional adhesive?
    Lynnwood WA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I got the new one no adhesive needed, its on there just fine. I also used alcohol on my cleanup not acetone and notice no issues, just scrape like u would normally.
    This was my first new gasket and I must say It looks sharper, almost worth the change just for that ha.
    Seattle, WA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Good info thanks!
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    As an egg noob, I'm not really looking forward to changing gaskets... Are they sending high temp gaskets or the one the units ship with??
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Tak
    I got the non adhesive one from the mothership....I believe the one with the adhesive is the the grey felt which was originally on there....I had one question.....how long should you do the slow cook after putting on the gasket?.....I did  a 12hr 250 burn....is that long enough....want to make sure that gasket says on....LOL....
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    My gasket is holding strong, so no worries about changing it yet.  However, some on here like @travisstrick say that they're not worth replacing.  Maybe he'll chime in.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Hmm it's says high temp gasket on the packet
    Lynnwood WA
  • Tak
    I did the low temp burn to allow the adhesive to dry....I plan to do a pizza burn this weekend...LOL
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    mcmac said:

As an egg noob, I'm not really looking forward to changing gaskets... Are they sending high temp gaskets or the one the units ship with??

they sent me a high temp replacement, aka nomex. I have yet r^2 it tho. I am missing a 10 inch section and havent noticed a difference.