Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must post caution.......

g-o
g-o Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Even though we were aware that it could happen & were careful, the little green guy took a shot at my wife. She went out to retrieve the burgers, lifted the lid about 1/2" and great whoosh of steam got her right hand. Spent 3 hrs. at hospital emergency room last night. Doctor wants her back there again this afternoon for another look. Very painful eggsperience. P L E A S E don't let this happen to you.
Gord[p]Barbecue gloves should always be worn.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    g-o,[p]Having both the little guy and tubby, what you described has been much more noticable with my little one than the big one. Not sure why but suspect the little one directs that well retained moisture, we all love about the Egg, directly at your hand as you open it. Since I do 90% grilling on the little guy, I have gotten quite aware that it is coming so I can be ready for it. I do keep a set of mits close by - and actually use them sometimes. Be careful up there![p]Tim
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    g-o,
    This is why I've adapted the policy of open the lid a crack. Close it. Open a crack. Close it. Anything over 300 degrees and I do that to get rid of the flame, the steam, the smoke, or evil spirits. This did once cause a group of Cherokees to appear on my front lawn asking if I needed help, but I've been spared the Joan-of-Arc treatment thus far.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    g-o,[p]Had the same experience (no hospital involved though) and early on I recall some talk in the forum about the same subject. Right in the same time period the Providence Journal had an article about 'Q'n and the subject of the article recomended a pair of welding gloves. On my way to the office each morning I pass a welding supply place. Expected them to be expensive...$8 plus tax! Bright red (as they come in colors)and like my seat belt I put them on every time I open Mr. Eggie. Hope your wife is better soon.[p]Carey

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    g-o,
    Don't kick yourself or allow your wife to kick herself over it too bad, we've all done it! I can remember laughing at C~W and KOC over their lapses of memory and 2 weekends later getting a "full charge" from it! My own dumb fault!!! Plain & simple! Chalk it up to experience and remember it is branded in your brain now![p]Keep on cookin', don't let it slow you down![p]Dr. Chicken

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    g-o,[p]You know, that happened to me a couple times while doing steaks. Fortunately, it was just a painful sensation and nothing requiring the emergency room. At E2K, one of the freebies was a big heavy heat resistant glove that I now use for high temp cooks. I think one of these (or two) would be a very good investment since it allows you to more confidently handle Mr Big while cooking at temps above 300.[p]Even with the glove, though, you should still take care to open the vents and burp the Egg as suggested in other responses before opening at those high temps.[p]Egging is not a right, it's a privilege,
    Cornfed