Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder planked salmon

burr_baby33
burr_baby33 Posts: 503
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been cooking salmon direct with alder chunks for smoke. Very good. I have tried cedar planks but don't like the cedar flavor. Last night I used alder planks, raging river, a little maple syrup and alder chunks for smoke. The combo of alder plank and alder smoke is the best I have done. Had dinner guests and thought I cooked too much salmon but everyone went for seconds and thirds. Just wanted to pass this along.

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    agreed.  ive done plenty on cedar and just recently tried alder.  definitely the way to go
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I am so glad to hear that the alder is a good thing. Doing salmon and snapper tonight. Thanks for the heads up on the alder planks. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Oh my, the alder was very good. Direct raised grate at 400 and pulled at 132. It was perfect. I made a mixture of maple syrup, honey and molasses with chef Paul salmon seasoning and lawreys seasoned salt. Some of the best salmon I ever made and the guests went back for thirds. Now this is going to sound very strange but it was soooooooo good. I sliced some peaches, stirred in purple onion and parsley and sprinkled it with Sherry vinegar. They were so good and sweet believe it or not. Give it a try. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok gotta try Adler!
  • burr_baby33
    Grannyx4, glad you liked it, I was pretty sure you would. Salmon and alder is a marriage made in heaven. Alder plank plus a chunk of alder is perfect. I learned about alder and salmon last year in Alaska. Been using chunks ever since but just discovered how good the planks are. I'll be getting more salmon and halibut in August and look forward to trying the alder plank on salmon. Will also try it on striper after this weekend.
  • burr_baby33
    I meant trying halibut with alder.