Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger in the CA Bay Area

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, after seeing an article on an airplane the other week about the BGE, I found my way to this forum and have been reading the threads obsessively. Went down to Barbeques Galore in Palo Alto this afternoon, and picked up a large BGE, nest, cover, that metal cover that goes on top, and a thermo. I'm going to assemble this over the weekend, and wanted to know what's a good simple dish/recipe for a newbie to attempt on his first try? I'd like a good steak or chicken dish. Thanks, and I look forward to joining the club![p]kevin

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    kyee,[p]Make a pork tenderloin. Here's how:[p]Fill the fire box about 2/3 of the way up or an inch above the ring of holes around it. Light it in the center of the pile.[p]While the egg is heating, have your tenderloin(s) marinading or seasoned with something and wrapped in saran wrap in the fridge for about 30 minutes.[p]Leave the vents open and the lid up for 15 minutes. Then close the lid with the vents still open. [p]By now, you should be at about 200 or 250. Leave the bottom vent open (or within a half an inch of wide open) and open only the daisy wheel spinny thing at the top. Not the slider. That should be, within a few degrees, 350.[p]Now, once you get to 325-350ish, put on the tenderloin.[p]Flip it every ten minutes and cook it to around 145-150 internal, but no more. Take it off, put on a platter and let it sit for ten minutes, then cut and serve. [p]The biggest mistake folks coming to the egg make is overcooking pork. It's safe after, I believe, 137, forget what your parents and grandparents told you about cooking it to 165 or worse. You just kill the juice and flavor that way.[p]anyway, try it and let us know what you think...[p](i'd advise you to buy a maverick et-73 dual probe wireless thermometer for 39.95 off the internet, and you'll have a much easier time cooking to the proper temps).[p]Good luck!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    kyee,
    Go for the chicken. For the first cook, you might do best with halves. Easy to tend. You will have to learn to start the fire. It really is not hard to do. The dealer that you bought the Egg from should have given you some ideas. You should have gotten a video. Sit down and watch the movie. It will get you started in the right direction.
    Set the dome temp of the Egg around 350 or 375. After the temp stablizes, put the chicken on. Keep the dome closed. Check out the chicken about half hour and turn it. By then you will see how it is cooking and get an idea of how long it will take. Usually about Hour to hour and a half. You can put some sauce on the chicken if you like of your taste about 15 minutes before it is done. Good luck and you are going to love this machine.[p]Jerry

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    kyee,
    Welcome to the cult or I mean club. I had a little eggsperience, so I went with babybacks my first time.[p]You might as well break it in with a 750 degree fire, wash for the flashback and cook some good steaks.[p]Good Luck,[p]Welcome[p]Mike

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    kyee,[p]What the heck??!!.....Throw a whole pig on there.[p]I do agree that the chicken and pork loin suggestions are good ones. Chicken wings are also an easy way to break thru...

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi kyee,
    Safeway & Mollie Stones carry natural lump. I normally go to Lazzari in SF on bayshore Blvd. just south of Geneva Ave.
    I pay $10.55 for a 40lb. bag, have to buy 3.
    Enjoy and welcome.
    bruce[p]

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    badbruce,[p]10.99 for a 40 lb bag??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]BBQ Galore, Virginia price for BGE coal is up to about $18 for a 20 lb bag....[p]Geesh!!!!!!!

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    kyee,[p]The best first cook I can think of is a thick ribeye covered in fresh cracked pepper and a little salt seared hot to a near char on the outside and rare to med rare on the inside.[p]But first before you eat, crack a beer, pour a little on the egg, a little on your head and do the funky chicken clockwise around the egg at least once.... then and only then will your egg be properly broken in.[p]Welcome to the forum and good luck![p]John

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    kyee,[p]I think I'd go for Chicken and Straps.[p]Chicken: halves would be easy, or thighs and legs. Lots of recipes here or on the Internet for seasoning. Good stuff.[p]Straps: for your brand new BGE. You know, when the ground starts moving - ?[p]Sorry, could not resist. :)[p]Welcome to the "cult", you will not be disappointed. For me, the hardest thing was learning to control the temp. Don't start with the vents wide open, or you will have a volcano in no time. Small openings, smaller adjustments to get the temp where you want it.[p]This forum (and the new one replacing it) is a huge source for knowledge.[p]Good luck and Happy Eggin'[p]LVM

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ar2.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    Great advice but the most important thing is to get a virgin pic.
    We are going to have a blast at The Royal.[p]Mike

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    kyee,
    Alot of good advice. I would just go with the meat you like best. In terms of temp I would go with the lower temps. Being inexperienced might cause unwanted flare ups and char you meat.
    ST

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Clockwise?!?! no wonder mine talks to me in my sleep. I will have to go and share another beer with it as soon as possibe.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    kyee,[p]You are lucky to live in the Bay Area -- see lazzari.com for good lump charcoal. Amazingly, here in Southern Calif, we have very few sources of good lump.[p]Welcome!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    kyee,
    If you're looking for lump charcoal you might want to check your local Wal-Mart for Royal Oak, mine has it in the outside garden dept. (I'm in the Sacramento area) It's a good burning lump and in my opinion not as strong a smoke flavor/taste as Lazzari is.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Good to see some Eggs here in the Bay Area, now if there was an "Eggfest" so I could score a deal on one of those demos.
    I'm in the process of building a new outdoor kitchen to house a large...just a matter of time.[p]I'm currently buying "Best of the West" lump charcaol for $12.87 for a 40lb bag at Smart and Final in the Santa Clara area.[p]Congrats on the new Egg.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Best of the West is fairly good -- it tends to be large chunks of Mesquite, which burns hot. It's also very inexpensive, which is a good thing![p]But I've heard that the Lazzari lump is a lot better, although I don't know from personal experience. They don't sell their products down south.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've already been a Lazzari user for sometime now, using my oval Weber to smoke and grill over the years. Now that I have a REAL smoking tool, I look forward to some awesome results. [p]I went ahead, did a Google search, and just ordered the Maverick ET-73, looks like a very handy tool to have. I'm leaning towards doing some Porterhouses, Ribeyes, or some chicken halves.[p]I did get the video tape with the BGE, but my problem is that I no longer even have a VHS player in my house! I have lots of Tivo, DVR's, DVD players, and even HD devices, but no VHS anymore! I'll have to take the take to my work and see if I can watch it there. [p]How do I sear the steak, and then slow cook it after?
  • Unknown
    Options
    BYC39,[p]Keep in mind this is mesquite. This wood does not impart the "sweet smokey flavor" we expect from out hardwood lump charcoal. [p]It's almost always very inexpensive, but for a reason. I'm not saying it doesn't have it's place, but it aint a good hardwood lump....[p]bc[p][p]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    kyee,
    First of all welcome. Second, it's a cult, not a club. The traditional first thing on the egg should probably be the Kool Aid.[p]Ok, after the Kool Aid maybe try some bread, just to freak yourself and your family out at how well the egg does with baking. If you need a good simple recipe just shoot me an e-mail and I'll hook you up.