Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ordered some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, couple questions for those familiar

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I used the free "site to store" shipping on Acehardware.com to get two bags shipped to my local Ace.  Total was $41.98 after taxes for two 22lb bags, so not a whole lot more than I pay for Royal Oak at Walmart.  Thanks to whoever posted this idea on the site, I've been wanting to try it for a while.

My question is, compared to Royal Oak, does the WW have more or less of a smoke flavor by itself?  I've noticed some charcoal seems to just be more smokey.  The reason I ask, I'm going to do my first pork shoulder (at least first on the Egg) this weekend and I hope to have the new WW lump here to try.  I've noticed that if I overdo the smoke, it seems gives me allergy problems.  So I'm wondering if it is inherently less, or more smokey than my usual Royal Oak.  Or if there is essentially no difference.  Just trying to decide how much wood to add to the lump for a nice smoke.  

Who would have thought someone who loved smoked foods would have this issue.  Damn the luck.

Anyways, thanks for any info,
Frank

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    It has very little smoke smell. You'll have to add it to WG to get the flavor.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No more smoke flavor than RO in my experience. It burns a little hotter but that's it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

+1 with Eggbertsdad-WGWW is the most "smoke neutral" lump I use.  Only use it for low&slows-use generic RO for other cooks.  Been  experimenting with Ozark Oak and that is a higher smoke flavor than any of the others. WGWW is great-does take a little longer to get burning but it will definitely last-very dense lump.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FxLynch
    Awesome guys, thanks for the quick responses.  Sounds like it will be perfect for the pork shoulder smoke.

Thermapen arrives today, this is going to be a good week lol .
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Agree with comments above, add to those less ash to deal with.
    Cookin in Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it has milder smoke in my somewhat limited experience.  it's denser though.  so you may find it takes a longer time to start blowing 'clean' smoke, since it will take longer to blow off any VOCs.  some have said it smells like ammonia.  All charcoal smells like ammonia to some degree, but it's more pronounced with the denser stuff.  just make sure to check the smoke before putting the meat on (as always, with any brand).
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I break the larger logs down to fist size to help avoid the slow "smelly" start on higher temp cooks. It works for me. I happen to really like the weekend warrior.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Check with the store next time, local store said they can order it and it would be slightly cheaper.They also told me that since I had bought a bag , they were going to order some and keep it in stock !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • FxLynch
    Thanks for all the input, I'll heed the warnings. calracefan- thanks for the heads up, I'll ask them when I go pick up the two bags. Frank