Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger

Options
BurntRaw
BurntRaw Posts: 565
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just want to say ya’ll are great. I have had a smoker for years, and went in to look at a new gas grill but was shown the Egg and told to visit the forum. And, of course, after browsing the forum for awhile I went back and got the egg.[p]So far, unfortunately, I have not delivered that “oh my god” meal – baby backs twice (first very tender but dry and the second had perfect texture but tasted like a very burnt piece of lump), steaks, brisket and pizza – following the tips and techniques posted without much luck and realizing that I have a lot to learn! To buy time I told the wife not to worry, if I can’t figure this think out (in a year or two) I know someone in Houston will take it off my hands.[p]Thanks for all the information.

Comments

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    BurntRaw,[p]Hang in there. A little practice and a lot of help from the great folks here will get you up to speed in no time![p]:)

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    I agree,just hang in there.[p]Mike

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    It's true... there is a learning curve with the egg... it doesn't just "happen" like we read about here. It does eventually get a lot easier, and things do improve. You will make adjustments and learn. I recommend taking good notes on every cook until you "know" how things are going to turn out. Times, temp, lump used, smoking woods, possibly weather (think snow, rain, wind, wind chill) I used to track internal and dome temps, all the pertinent data.... but that ended after the first year of "learning." Now it just "happens," most of the time it's positive, but sometimes things still "miss." My wife recently told me a steak tasted like lighter fluid... that'll make a guy proud of his efforts. She just can't take smoke, and when I was in my dwell, old Mr. egg smoked like mad for a few minutes, and there I stood.... BTW, there has never been a petroleum product close to my firebox. [p]Good luck, and keep practicing, reading, learning and experimenting.[p]Mike in MN

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Options
    BurntRaw,
    post what you make and what you don't like about it and you will get some good advice for improvements.