Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in or not?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to make a pork butt for pulled pork on Monday. Ordered my Maverick. Found a local place that carries the meat and the butcher is going to save one for me. So....bone in or not? What are the pros and cons of each?

Comments

• JM
    JM Posts: 39
    Options
    Gwen,[p] Bone-in! [p]John
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Gwen,[p]Both will make excellent Q. I like the bone in shoulders packaged in two packs in Cryovac. I prefer to trim my own, and they hold together a little better than boneless. (Sometimes boneless ones are over trimmed). You can always use some twine to hold boneless ones together during the cook. A big advantage of boneless butts is laying them open and adding more rub or garlic or herb paste etc. to the inside before tying it up.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Gwen,
    bone in.....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • wfd146
    wfd146 Posts: 36
    Options
    Gwen,
    Almost every cut of meat is better bone in, and a butt is no exception.

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,
    I guess the bone-in's have it! I'm really looking forward to this. If it's anything like the ribs I made last weekend, it'll be out of this world. (We are doing the ribs again this weekend too.)

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Gwen,
    pulled pork is one of the simplest, most amazing transformations you can do on the egg.[p]i have never served it to less than raves, and they all want to know the secret.[p]i don't have the heart to tell them i put on some dry rub, toss it on the egg at temp ftil done, and then serve.[p]almost as easy as making ice.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Gwen,
    bone in and save the bone, you can freeze it for later and make a nice stock for soup

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    stike,[p]How do you make ice? My freezer's been doing it for so long I forgot how....[p]