Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

maverick et732 question

gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

i just recently got the thermometer and have only used once. i thought i read on here somehwere that when using a plate setter the temp on the cooking level is lower on the is lower that what the temp in the dome is. i was cooking ribs with plate setter in place. the dome temp was above 350 but the maverick continued to read are 250 or so. so i thought this to be the norm. i had to leave for a couple hours but had neighbor come check maverick temp right on 250. i was thinking perfect just like i planned. well the time i returned the temp on the maverick had raised to about 325. no big deal really i thought. the ribs had only been on for a little over 3 hours so i decided to raise the lid and to my suprise the ribs were done. they have moved back off bone about 3/*4 inch. so could someone help me for next time.

• is the temp on cooking surface going to be lower than dome with plate setter in place?
  • if cooking area was reading bellow 300 for most of cook how did ribs get done so fast?

But the ribs were still very very good to east. all the help is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I too just received a Maverick and used it for Ribs this weekend. What I found was there is a more sizable difference between temps immediately after the lid has been opened for a bit. In that case the dome seemed to register higher than the grid... but after a while the temp of the two got closer to each other which is what I would expect. I guess the take away is to make sure to let the temp stabilize before leaving unattended. Just my experience.
    However, unlike you, my ribs took forever to cook at 250. I think the last rack (thickest) came off at around 8 hours! I will be changing a couple of things for the next cook, like dropping the drip pan to the heat deflector , and bumping the cook temp to around 275. Live and learn... right!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

There are a couple details missing here .. Who was cooking what kind of ribs.  I'm guessing G-Dawgs was cooking baby backs and McMac was cooking St. Louis or spares.  On average baby backs take 3-4hrs and spares 5-6hrs. 

G-Dawg, if i read this right, your grate temp moved up to 325 meaning your fire got hotter while you were gone. As you noticed, even that will not kill your ribs. If babyback ribs saw 30 minutes or so at 325 and 2.5hrs at 250 - they would certainly be done.

McMac - 8 hours is aggressive but they're done when they're done right??  I have been cooking with 270-275 target temp and I have had great success there.

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Make sure you stabilize your egg so that the plate setter is up to cooking temp before you leave it alone.  This can take up to an hour to do.  Also I found that 275-300 dome temp works well for most low and slows.  Grid temp is usually 50 degrees less starting out and my egg will hold 275-300 with out any adjustment for 12 plus hours.
  • mcmac

There are a couple details missing here .. Who was cooking what kind of ribs.  I'm guessing G-Dawgs was cooking baby backs and McMac was cooking St. Louis or spares.  On average baby backs take 3-4hrs and spares 5-6hrs. 

G-Dawg, if i read this right, your grate temp moved up to 325 meaning your fire got hotter while you were gone. As you noticed, even that will not kill your ribs. If babyback ribs saw 30 minutes or so at 325 and 2.5hrs at 250 - they would certainly be done.

McMac - 8 hours is aggressive but they're done when they're done right??  I have been cooking with 270-275 target temp and I have had great success there.

Tony A,

I was cooking baby backs, which is reason for the concern. However, I really believe the longer cook time is due to the drip pan being too close to the bottom of the ribs and not allowing the hot air to travel as freely from below as it would if the drip pan were further down. I'm going to give that a shot later this week. I will definitely move the temp up to the 275 mark... thanks for your feedback.

Hillsboro OR
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Hot air rises.  The dome reads hotter than the grid.  As things stabalize on a low and slow the temps converge to almost equal until one opens the lid.  I do baby backs on the warm side since they're tender.  Spare ribs get some hours low and I bump them up at the end to get the Maillard reaction.  I don't foil.  For ribs I use the spyder/stone but no drip pan.  The joy of all this is that you will soon create your own way of doing it the way you and yours like best.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • mcmac
    Baysidebob,

Would you recommend that I just use my woo 2 and AR combo with the stone and drop the drip pan? Do you just foil the stone?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hillsboro OR