Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Friday, and I can't think of a good reason NOT to cook a brisket. (Picture Heavy)

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, as some of you know from the last time I cooked a brisket, in my eyes it was a fail and I threw it all away. Had I been more patient, I would have saved it because it was still juicy, just not that good tasting to me. I could have saved, sauced and made sandwiches, lesson learned.

Now on to the topic at hand, last night I decided to go get a brisket from my local sams club. They do not have packers, and after last time I figured why not just get a flat as it is a less expensive learning experience. This morning I got up and trimmed the brisket, not as much as last time, but rather just thinned the fat cap to about a 1/4" all around. On the meat side I did my best to remove as much silver membrane as I could see. I then injected with a mixture of worcestershire sauce and some hickory smoke marinade. After this I applied a light layer of EVOO, and then the rub which was a mixture of jacks old south hickory, original, and some of other rub I use frequently. It is now sitting in the refrigerator letting the rub soak a little. I am panning on using the texas crutch on this cook as it is 9:20am EST and I haven't even fired the egg yet. I will cook somewhere between 225 and 260 grid temp and use Pecan, cherry, and apple wood for smoke.

As @lousubcap said a while ago, "sometimes they need to just jump in and swim on their own." Well, I am about to jump in without a life vest, let's hope I don't drown.  :)

Here are a few pics of the aforementioned process.

After trimming some of the fat cap

Meat side

After being injected

The injection

After being rubbed

The rubs used

It is 9:30 am EST and I think it is time to go fire the egg. I will update as I go.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    :Subscribe:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lurking.........
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Brisket hit the stabilized grill at 11am EST, I am aiming to finish around 7 latest for dinner using the Texas crutch for obvious reasons. Using the adjustable rig with the stainless drip pan at the highest setting, and the pizza stone 2 notches down, I left space in there so the drippings will not burn, and with the rig set up as high as it is, I can easily add more wood if I chose to. I have the DIGIQ set to 260 grid temp, and the meat set to 150 as I plan to foil it at that time (Texas crutch.) After which, I will change the target meat temp to 185 and begin to monitor tenderness at that point.

Here are a few more pics.

This is the setup before I re-arranged the racks to allow easy access to the wood/lump

On the grill at 11am EST smoke in full affect.

Chugging along... more pics as we go.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• batboy
    batboy Posts: 26
    Options
    Watch out.  There appears to be some type of vortex in your backyard.  Those circles are too uniform  '. . . and he was never heard from again. . . .'
  • michigan_jason
    Options

Watch out.  There appears to be some type of vortex in your backyard.  Those circles are too uniform  '. . . and he was never heard from again. . . .'
    Haha, I chose to go with the ol' bulls eye this time

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    :))

was just thinking the same thing. Don't stare at it! It will suck you in
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    It's like crop circles.

Bro your back yard is nice!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    It's like crop circles. Bro your back yard is nice!
    Hey, thanks man! The back yard is ok, the front is my baby though.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ok, meat is at 135, grill locked at 260, I'm off to meet a buddy for a few beers and will update when I get back.

Ohh yea, this stuff isn't bad...

• easttexasaggie04
    Options
    People on this forum sure have some manicured yards!  I need to do some work to mine before I post pics.  haha
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Crop circles, Area 51? It does look nice, and the yard as well. :D
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Thanks, but that was just a quick hurry up before it rains cut! I'll post a pic of the lawn if I can find one. It is an obsession of mine lol.

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Thanks, but that was just a quick hurry up before it rains cut! I'll post a pic of the lawn if I can find one. It is an obsession of mine lol.
    Well it looks like you are blessed. My yard is so dang dry and I'm in SD. We are feeling the drought like many others are. Boy you must love cooking and sitting on that outstanding deck, overlooking that great yard.  Very, very nice. Maybe one day Ill stop being a nomad and settle down. Working in the wind industry keeps me moving around. Feels like I never left the Marines.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Love that second picture of the AR in the Egg with all that smoke coming out. Wish my yard looked like that. I'm too lazy and its to hot for me to mow in circles. And that is a nice bourbon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• michigan_jason
    Options
    We are certainly in a drought here in Michigan. I water for 35mins/zone to keep the grass green. Ugh...water bill was $450

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    Woodford Reserve that's my choice of Bourbon also. As far as the "Vortex" in the yard Jason just has the guest to his meals stare at that for awhile and after a few minutes they are hypnotized and he asks for 10$ tips for the meal. Works everytime.
  • michigan_jason
    Options

Woodford Reserve that's my choice of Bourbon also. As far as the "Vortex" in the yard Jason just has the guest to his meals stare at that for awhile and after a few minutes they are hypnotized and he asks for 10$ tips for the meal. Works everytime.

Now there is an idea...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If I have enough Woodford, I mow in circles too. Too bad my yard is a square  :(|)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If I have enough Woodford, I mow in circles too. Too bad my yard is a square  :(|)

=))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Another good reason not to mow in cirlces. I once mowed my yard on a diagonal. Seems like like I had to turn the mower around more often. Too much work to achieve a look that lasted for a few days.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Good luck with the brisket. And I love the Woodford too. I am actually going to visit the distillery in Kentucky next week on the way to a wedding in Ohio. It is sort of a detour but the wife said it was OK. My consolation prize for going to the wedding I suppose.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    This is how it looked when I got home, internal was at 165*, I pulled it and put it in foil, re inserted the meat probe, and set the DIGIQ to 185 for a warning so I know when to chill on the deck and keep an eye. Ohh yea, I put a can of beef broth in the foil as well.

On a side note, when I got home I took a quick pic of my front yard, and while I am not real happy with the quick cut I did the other day before it rained, you can get the picture of how I like it to look. Also a pic of the beast responsible for the look of the lawn.

Prior to foiling... internal 165*

Rain was coming in so I had to do it fast, otherwise stripes and lines would be precise... cutting at 8mph is not as easy as you think lol.

The beast.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Damn, you're serious about the lawn. Looks nice.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    @ ncbbq Thanks a million man, it is one of my obsessions that ranks up there with bbq and bowling.

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options

Got to love the zero point turn.  Man going in circles must have made you dizzy. My Dad was crazy when it came to the yard! He would mow up and then on the next pass he lowered the pan one notch (22 inch cut push mower). He repeated this until the lawn was done. Took him hours to do. The yard looked great and it was all good until he made us do it! Not fun when you’re a teenager!  

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    It is weird, when I was young I always asked to use dad's rider (to cut our grass) and he was really reluctant to let me. He actually took the keys to work with him. Up until I hot wired it that is lol.... I guess things we are passionate about are always in us, its just a matter of time until we actually are able to do something about them.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Brisket is out of the foil and back on the pit at a slightly higher temp to make the bark come back to life. Temp is about 192.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hapster said:

Just tasted mine after about an hour or so under wraps... Sick, just sick..

Nice Hap! That's what we're talking about!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Just tasted mine after about an hour or so under wraps... Sick, just sick..
    Nice work brotha!

• JKL
    JKL Posts: 20
    Options
    Brisket hit the stabilized grill at 11am EST, I am aiming to finish around 7 latest for dinner using the Texas crutch for obvious reasons. Using the adjustable rig with the stainless drip pan at the highest setting, and the pizza stone 2 notches down, I left space in there so the drippings will not burn, and with the rig set up as high as it is, I can easily add more wood if I chose to. I have the DIGIQ set to 260 grid temp, and the meat set to 150 as I plan to foil it at that time (Texas crutch.) After which, I will change the target meat temp to 185 and begin to monitor tenderness at that point.

One quick question: Where did you get the adjustable rig holding the drip pan and pizza stone?? I do not see that on the EGG webpage? Greatly appreciate feed back on this one.
    Cheers Jeff.

Here are a few more pics.

This is the setup before I re-arranged the racks to allow easy access to the wood/lump

On the grill at 11am EST smoke in full affect.

Chugging along... more pics as we go.