Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Second Cook looking for suggestions

Options
TonyA
TonyA Posts: 583
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was going to do a HnF brisket this weekend, but I'm in the mood for something different - I'm thinking of doing a tri tip.  My thought would be to cook it direct at 350-deg.  Am I crazy?  Do I get too much radiant heat?  I guess I also am not sure how long it would take either  .. i would think a 4-5lb piece would be not more than 45 minutes or so. I'll be using a thermmometer, but I am just trying to gauge timing.

Comments

• HavasuTom
    HavasuTom Posts: 13
    Options

Did Tri tip last night.

Brought my XLBGE to approx 600 degrees.

Set up Direct using a Spider and cast iron grate did a 3 minute sear on each side, removed and wrapped in foil.

Set up Indirect with a plate setter, legs up, then grill, added some chunks of hickory .

Brought temp down to 350 degrees - dome temp.

Put Tri tip in v rack on grill, drip pan just in case  

I like meat cooked more towards medium well, so I removed at 160 degrees- about 35 minutes.

Removed Tri tip, wrapped in foil and rested approx 15 minutes.

By the time I thought of taking pictures the Tri tip was gone.

Good Luck!

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Hi Tony,  Here is my first Tri-tip.  It turned out great,  I went for the sear, then roast, with potatoes, and veggies at the end.  

• HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm doing tri-tip tonight also, I'm going to try the reverse sear method, this will be new as I'm used to searing first, crossing my fingers.

I've had some of R2's stuff and it was pretty darn good so I'll give it a try

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Once you go to reverse sear, you will stay that way--most probably.

Just like foiling ribs, don't do it and see how much better bark and texture the ribs have.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    How did it go?
  • HMB_Egg
    HMB_Egg Posts: 18
    Options
    Came out fine but I made a rookie mistake, I neglected to pull the plate setter for the sear so I did not get a good bark. Aside from that all good, well aside from the felt looking a little loose after I got the temp up to 550.
    The taters came out good, they were just in a foil pouch

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Came out fine but I made a rookie mistake, I neglected to pull the plate setter for the sear so I did not get a good bark. Aside from that all good, well aside from the felt looking a little loose after I got the temp up to 550.
    The taters came out good, they were just in a foil pouch

I probably should have provided a past post with pics of one of my reverse sear tri-tip cooks to better show what I do. Here's one: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137396/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options

I wound up cooking indirect at 350 to 125 internal with a fist full of applewood chips in and the same beef rub i use on my brisket coating and then seared direct for only about a minute and a half.  The final product was a deep brown/red exterior, surprising nice little smoke ring a very thin well done band and the rest was a med/med rare - perfect for the crowd i was serving.

I think I would have liked the exterior color to be a little darker but I won't complain - It really came out fabulous.  I served it with some mushrooms and onions that marinated in a little olive oil and worcestershire sauce.  The little smokey flavor there was great.