Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potlifter to Move XL?

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Amazon has a 200 pound "pot lifter" that I am considering buying to move my XL because I need to move it a few times over the next year due to various construction activities.  Has anyone used this thing to move an XL?  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Lots have and report good results. I just take the top off and guts out and I can move my xl by myself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    QDude - noticed that Lee Valley Tools has the same item:
    Lee Valley, although not the least expensive choice, has a great reputation and sells well tested, quality products. Looks to be the same item available from Amazon, don't see why it would not work. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    You might check Harbor Freight and see if they have nylon straps with loops in the ends that are long enough to go around the Egg and have a long enough "tail" to get a hold on.  Strap high enough so Egg won't tip and get a strong pal to help you lift.  I used two such straps to place my XL in the table.  The rated capacity of the straps can be much higher than 200 lb.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have some rope and/or ratcheting straps, you can MacGyver one of those fairly easily.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141223
    Options
    i don't know if i'd trust a macgyver setup with a 1300 piece of ceramic, the pot lifter is under $30 and worth every penny. The rubber sticks to the egg, i can easily pick up and put my large in a bed of a truck with mine. It can easily handle an xl
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I got one for moving.. Worked great for tje large and even mini
    Wow, the mini with a pot lifter? The pot lifter probably added up to 10% of the total weight.

=)) That's funny!

I have the PL to move my large and I agree with the others that it makes it much more manageable.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Ok, so I have to share,  I bought my egg at a fest and brought it home.  It was still warm putting it in the van.  So when I got home, it mostly had cooled off slightly. I have a van where there is a well behind the 3rd seat so that is where the egg was sitting.  I work out and am pretty strong for a girl my size, 

I tied hugging it, dead lifting it, all kinds of things, finally a neighbor came outside and yelled at me asking if I needed help.  Exhausted YES!  I said,  so he said well I watched you for about 15 min struggle with it till it was not funny any longer.  I am getting that PL for sure!  

L-)  I feel like quite the looooser for not taking out the guts!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    LizzieSamps No shame in hugging the egg. BTW even with the guts out it still isn't light enough to lift, unless of coarse you work out a lot.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Bought my PL today
    Lynnwood WA
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I am going to pick one up as well. Fred's BBQ said they use them on all size eggs to move them around.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93