Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature controllers

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
First, does using one mean you are cheating? Second, what is the middle of the road one or the most commonly used/most popular one?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I would offer that "cheating" is akin to "depends on what your definition of "is" is"...whatever works for you.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I was at a rib competition a month ago and I used my Stoker controller.

Some might think it's cheating but isn't using the BGE cheating?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Options
    Cheating??
    Cheating whom?
    You use a temperature controller when you use your oven. Is that "cheating"?
    If you have a device that makes your cooking more efficient/results tastier, then who cares how it's done?
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    The "cheating" part was not meant in a negative way. It really was a joke, perhaps a poor one.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    If using a controller is cheating, no matter the definition, then using the egg is cheating as well.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Who cares if its "cheating" or not? I have one, use it mainly on overnighters or to smoke sausages at temps around 150. Used it before on ribs. I would suggest knowing how to manually control the egg so you are not relying on it in case the electricity goes out or god forbid it breaks mid cook.

Don't know which ones are considered middle of the road. I have an Auber and its on the low end, but works great. Check out The Naked Whiz's website. He's reviewed just about all (if not all) of the ones out there. So much info it will make your head spin.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cheating?!  The purpose of making delicious food, esp in a competition, isn't to see how well you can  control the dampers on your egg, it's how you season, prepare and use temperature/time to cook your food.  The end result is your product, not the road you used to get that (plus, that's a secret).