Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon on BGE

Options
easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend I got some salmon at Central Market while in Ft. Worth. I'd like to cook it on my BGE tonight. Any tips on temperatures and techniques to making it taste great?

I'm a novice when it comes to cooking fish any way except frying.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • LPGator
    LPGator Posts: 10
    Options

I'm new to this as well. I did cedar plank salmon this past week at dome temp of 350. I took the salmon off when the internal temp was 135, which took about 25 minutes. It tasted great but it could have probably cooked just a few minutes less. It wasn't dry, but we like ours slightly undercooked.

Hope this helps.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If it's skin-on filet, you can cook under medium heat, direct, on the skin.  I cook until it the center is almost done, then pull it off, cover and it'll finish cooking through the resting.

You can also cook on the flesh, get purdy grill marks, then flip it onto the skin.  Gotta be careful you don't get the flesh stuck on the grate - use plenty of oil.

Cooking on a plank takes considerably longer, since the plank is somewhat of an insulator.

I never use temp for fish, I go by meat color, firmness in the center.  The hotter you cook, the more it'll continue to cook when resting, so pull accordingly.

Biggest problem people have with fish is they overcook.  Salmon is pretty forgiving,  but it can dry out like any other fish.  I like my fish a little on the MR side, some species even rare.