Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best In Orlando?

Options
Dan4BBQ
Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I can use some advice.

What is the best in Orlando:

BGE store?

Meat market?

Place to buy fruit wood pieces?

Place to buy rubs?

Living in Orlando it is easy to get lost with the tourists.  I need to find the "real" places to shop.

Thanks for your advice.

Dan

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I bought a mini recently from Unique Patio Pool and Spa in Altamonte.  They were great but seems to focus a little more on the Pool and Spa than the BGE side of their business.  That being said, their Egg prices were very competitive.  I'm in Tampa, so I can;t speak to your other questions and will happily wait for others' responses.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dan4BBQ
    Options
    Thanks--I can't seem to find the right connections in Orlando---
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I get most of my Egg stuff from Ace as well. They have a few locations but are still locally owned and operated. I haven't found a butcher yet so I just get my meats from Publix and occasionally Whole Check.

I get all my Royal Oak lump from Wally World ~$6.75/8.8lb

Penzays in downtown winter park has great spices and rubs. Not cheap but they've got great stuff.

You can find smoking chunks/chips now of all types everywhere, even Publix.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    For buying an Egg the best price is Wassi's in Melbourne.  Well worth the drive.  Nice meat market too, and have some accessories.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• flachick
    flachick Posts: 40
    Options
    Count me in as another vote for Ace. We use the one in Winter Garden. As for meat, The Meat House on North Orange Ave in Winter Park is great.  Not necessarily inexpensive, but it's a butcher shop and they can get you what you want/need.  Plus, there's always Whole Foods (Dr. Phillips). I buy the majority of my spices at Penzey's and at the Spice and Tea Company, both on Park Ave in Winter Park. The Espresso Steak Rub and the Florida Sunshine spice blend from S & T are big favorites in our house.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Depends on where you are. Petty's was my favorite its over at 434 and I4 if I remember correctly. Nice store not just a butcher they have wine and cheeses and produce etc. There was also a place in Oviedo called Cavellaris or something like that that was smaller but also had a good selection. It off red bug lake road if it's still there I moved from Orlando so I would google them and call before you make the drive. I'm sure Pettys is still around and they have free beer or tap while you shop (usually just miller lite or bud light but can't complain its free).
  • Dan4BBQ
    Options
    Great suggestions

Just looking for a few friends in the business.

Dan
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I do business with Cavallari's and Swin n Fun in the Winter Springs area. Good people and they have taken good care of me. The Fish market that I think is the best in the area is the Lighthouse seafood market in Lake Mary. Tim loves to see me. Most dinner parties revolve around the fish.

Walter has several Ace Hardware stores in Orange county and he sponsored the First Annual Orlando Eggstravangaza last year for the boy scouts and the Second Harvest Food bank.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GGrillin'
    GGrillin' Posts: 64
    Options
    For meats, try The Fresh Market in Dr. Phillips. Very good selection.
    Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • flachick
    flachick Posts: 40
    Options
    Having read the responses, I think Lit is right. It depends on where you live in the Central Florida area. ALL the places mentioned are top notch. Let us know where you go and what you think.
  • Tomcat225
    Tomcat225 Posts: 41
    Options
    The Pinch a Penny pool supply store on Sand Lake Rd is a BGE Dealer.  They dont have a huge inventory, but they do carry wicked good charcoal, which is really good..
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    As far as Eggs, the best place I had been to with great customer service was the Grill Station, but the owner retired and closed it down.  Now I am like you, searching for that place that will offer great customer service.

As far as meats, I have been to Petty's and The Meat House.  Both are really good places, the Meat House was actually smoking a brisket on a BGE when I visited so they know all about cooking on the egg also.  Plus they carry Wicked Good Lump.  I have heard that this is a really good shop but have yet to visit it.  http://www.yellowpages.com/orlando-fl/mip/momms-meats-popps-produce-4440665?lid=4440665
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!