Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What was I thinking

Ellis
Ellis Posts: 195
edited July 2012 in Lamb
I decided to do a 5 1/2 # lamb shoulder yesterday for the first time. Indirect at 350 about 4 hours internal temp 170 after resting. Not so great it's 80 % bone, no wonder I have only seen it here once.  Has anyone had luck with a shoulder besides Allitnils. I should have ckecked in before I started. Thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well, if you wanted it as a roast, it'd be overdone for slicing.  if you wanted it to shred, it was underdone.  what were you aiming for?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    stike, a lot of the inside close to the bone was real pink and the only way to slice it would be with a chain saw, I didn't know it was so bony. Have you ever made one, if so  how did you do it.? I have done the leg, shank, rack and the chops, never thd shoulder
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    haven't made it, but all shoulder is tough.  pork shoulder is what we use for pulled pork, for example.  best bet is to break it down low and slow.

you could braise it too. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • You could cook it like pulled pork but the more lamb is cooked the more like mutton it tastes. I like mutton but many don't. Shoulder is the most common stew meat from lamb.