Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats, help please!

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello, thinking Brats for lunch today. Going to sautée some onions in butter, and beer, then add the brats. Finish up on the grate what temp should I use for them to not pop open?

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    I do about 350-400 and that seems to work just fine. I know some put on a raised grid, but I never do.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have never donr brats, not yet, id try 300. They will already be cooked, so the egg will just be adding color and texture.
  • Interesting, I've never done brats this way.  I've boiled in beer/water 50/50 mixture for about 10 minutes and then I put them on the grill for finishing & texture.  Garnish with ketchup, mustard and chopped onions.  Haven't done them on the egg yet, but it's coming.
  • I always take a clean pin and poke about 6-9 tiny holes in the Brats to let steam seep out. Haven't done on the egg yet, but that is how I used to do it on the Weber. Looks delicious!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Looks good Lizzie !
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Lizzie I want some. Boy I bet that was good. I'm doing chicken tonight.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Cook them gently and they wont burst. Poking them lets out fat. Fat is flavor. I add a pound of pork fat to my brats on purpose. Just go 325 and let them get to 150-160 max. They wont pop. Unless they are overstuffed homemade ones maybe
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Looks great. I'll have to put this on my short list.
  • LizzieSamps
    So I almost forgot to take a pic but after someone had bit into one I remember. Opps. Bad photo but he she is. They were the best brats I ever had, made some baked beans, corn, and macaroni saladPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    that looks so good- makes me hungry
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Now i want sauer kraut and mustard brats
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Cook them gently and they wont burst. Poking them lets out fat. Fat is flavor. I add a pound of pork fat to my brats on purpose. Just go 325 and let them get to 150-160 max. They wont pop. Unless they are overstuffed homemade ones maybe
    Yep. Par boiling leeches out flavor. If you want, put the brats in a beer/onion bath after they are cooked.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • I just smoked some brats. 250 with hickory for 50 minutes. This will probably be the only way I ever make brats again
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I just smoked some brats. 250 with hickory for 50 minutes. This will probably be the only way I ever make brats again
    Excellent. See, no par boiling needed.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    edited July 2012
    Sounds like you knocked it out the park with you cook! I hate that I can't see pics on my work computer! Will have to check when I get home. Will also have to try cooking brats on my BGE.
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

I believe most people over-think grilling brats, all the poking and par boiling.

A good brat should be grilled slowly over a low fire turning often using BBQ tongs for bare hands.  Poking holes in the skin just lets the juices and flavor leak onto the coals, even covered in brat juice charcoal doesn't taste very good.  I do mine on a raised grate, dome temp of about 350.  I put them on close the lid for a few minutes open lid and turn sipping my Schlitz as I go.  Brats are done when firm to the touch, I do it all by feel.  Dress with some nice crisp kraut and spicy brown mustard, maybe some sliced onions.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    edited July 2012
    If and I say *if* you want to par boil, in my opinion, the best way is to poach the sausages delicately. Bring liquid to boil then turn off heat. Add the sausages to the liquid and let it go for 10 minutes. The liquid can be broth, mixture of water+beer, water+wine, water+maple syrup, etc. After poaching, you can grill them at 325-375 for 5-10 minutes.

If you have time, 200-250 for an hour on the egg with a chunk of hickory... In my opinion, this is the best way.

For both methods, it is important not to puncture the casing of the sausages. If you are par boiling different flavor of sausages, you can use toothpicks to identify them as long as you don't remove the toothpicks until the sausages are fully cooked. (1 toothpick = flavor 1, 2 = flavor 2, ...)

Looks fantastic. Great job. We all love to use our egg but there are times it is just not the right tool. Like you we often saute our brats in liquid and onion (beer/water/wine whatever is in the fridge) and then colour them at <350F for 10 minutes or so using the gasser. Mine don't usually look as good as yours. This is the preferred method when we are in a hurry and have not planned ahead, meaning unexpected but welcomed guests arrive. 
    Suggest you try a 250F smoke for 40 to 50 minutes as noted above by Maintenanceman and Troutgeek, this creates the best brats ever without a boil or saute and they do not split. You do have to do something to get some onions if you use them as a condiment. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • LizzieSamps
    edited July 2012
    Will try that next. I love the suggestions. I am one of the few that have not grilled my whole life. Just learning it all and doing the best I can!! I have 8 more brats food saved in the fridge so next time I am shooting for the 250 for 40-50 min as suggested. Thanks again!!
  • Charzan
    Charzan Posts: 2
    Looks Great!  I've done Brats several times on the Egg.  A lot of trial and error at first, but I normally bring a dark stout beer with half an onion in it to boil on the stove.  Drop the brats in and flip them until the color is a light grey.  I use the plate setter, top side down for indirect heat, at 300 degrees.  Put the brats on the grate for about 25-30 minutes, flip every 7 minutes.  As with anything, cook low and slow if you want a more smokey flavor.  It looks like your method worked well.  I think I may pick some Brats up for tonight!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    raised direct,  cherry smoke will give them a deep redish color.....

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.