Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallop question

Options
Boileregger
Boileregger Posts: 614
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got back from the grocery store, and couldn't pass up some jumbo sea scallops they had on sale to go with my ribeyes for tomorrow night. I've never cooked them before, but was planning on wrapping in bacon, skewering, and searing. My question is, do you need to give the bacon a little bit of a head start, or will the bacon finish without overcooking the scallop?

Thanks

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If by wrapping you mean wrapping around the outside edge, the bacon needs a head start. Scallops are done in under 2 minutes if you do them right (hard sear and pull when still translucent in the middle to rest)

If you are wrapping the entire scallop in bacon, the bacon will protect the scallop but then you dont get a sear on the scallop.

I do mine without bacon at all and do a hard sear (in a pan with butter). They are super easy to overdo so be careful on the egg. Drop the grid if you can and get a good sear on and pull them off quickly
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Yep, I'm doing just around the outside. Knew the scallops went quick, but didn't know how fast the bacon would go at 500ish. Thanks cen-tex.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    With shrimp and scallops I always precook the bAcon in the oven. Just till its cooked, but not crispy
  • acrash
    acrash Posts: 17
    Options

I actually like the scallops just straight on the Egg: some Kosher Salt & Pepper, 2 minutes each side, nice sear, done. Delicious!