Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was without a doubt the best meal I've ever made. I did the backyard championship ribs from Dr. BBQ's big time bbq cookbook. I was going to do the championship ribs but ran out of time and noticed this backyard recipe was faster. [p]I made the big-time bbq rub and put that on the racks. Got the fire going and put the racks on the grid with indirect heat. I had 3 full racks and 2 shorter pieces. The grill was pretty crowded. What's the most racks someone has put on a large BGE?[p]135_3537.jpg[p]I adjusted the venting and waited a while to see what the temp would settle on. When I came back to check, it was exactly at 325. I was so proud of myself, I had to take a photo.[p]135_3538.jpg[p]I waited the prescribed 1.5 hours, then took the ribs off to put them in an aluminum pan, which I then poured apple juice into. Not paying attention, I covered them and put them back on the grill without doing the honey step. By the time I remembered, I figured I'd just leave that out. Next time I'll be sure and put it in, just to see how they compare.[p]I had a much harder time keeping the temp regulated this time. It didn't want to go up to 325, wanted to be more like 300 but one time when I opened the vents moreit went up to 350. I ended up leaving them on a bit longer than the one hour since most of the time they were closer to 300 than 325.[p]Then took them off and put my own 'sweet southern bbq sauce' on them and put them back onto the grill for about 10 minutes. I had wanted the temp up higher but it just wouldn't go above 300. I think I needed to have bigger chunks of lump in there. When it was all over, most of the lump was tiny pieces and ash. (By the way, anyone know if you can put lump ashes in the garden like you can with fireplace wood ashes?)[p]The ribs were perfection. They weren't quite as dark as I would have liked them for appearance sake but they were darker than this photo shows.[p]135_3539.jpg[p]I cut them into pieces of 3 to 4 ribs apiece. My friend said the portions were too big. But I noticed everyone went back for seconds and in some cases thirds, so I guess it was okay. <g> They were delish. The whole meal was incredible. Ribs, a family rice recipe that is excellent with grilled meats, green beans sauteed in garlic, parmesan/garlic bread, a killer salad my friend brought, and locally-grown strawberries, raspberries, and loganberries.[p]I will be remembering this meal for a long time and can't wait to try the longer method of q'ing ribs.[p]Gwen, hooked and wishing she'd gotten the x-large.

Comments

• Eggvis
    Eggvis Posts: 94
    Gwen,[p]
    Very nice indeed...those ribs look great....

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Gwen,
    Gratz...those look awesome. It's always better when you have friends around after you make a masterpiece on the egg.[p]To answer your questions, Chef Wil put a ton of ribs on the egg one time. I think it was over 20 racks, there is a picture of this actually below if you will search for his name.[p]I don't see why you couldn't put lump ash in the garden, it is burnt hardwood, which is what you would burn in your fireplace. I throw my leftover ash sometimes over the edge of my deck and have not noticed any dead spots, of course it is all weeds back there and I'm not sure salt would make dead spots.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Gwen,[p]What a nice thing to read first thing this morning. Thanks Gwen.
    I actually like the ribs a lighter color like that, so I think yours look great. You can always use a rib rack and then stand the ribs on end in the pan too. I think you could cook 4-5 slabs pretty easily like that. Also, it sounds like you were getting low on lump at the end. Did you fill it up to the top of the firebox to start?

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Gwen,[p]i throw the the lump ash in my garden all of the time.[p]did you fill your firebox? always clear the ash and small pieces out of all of the firebox holes and grate holes and top off your firebox with lump for a cook.

• Groundfish,
    Yes, the firebox was filled. So was the fire ring until I learned I wasn't sposed to do that and ran out and took the top layer off.

• drbbq,[p]Yes, it was full. I think I'm not managing my lump correctly and am going to post some lump questions in a minute.
  • Bobby-Q,
    Boy, I'm going to search for that photo! I guess he used rib racks and did two levels? We often cook for a crowd, which is why I considered the x-large. I didn't buy it as the consensus here seemed to be the large was plenty big enough and I personally felt there weren't enough x-larges out there that I was going to be able to ask questions and get immediate questions based on all your guyses' expertise and experience since most of you had not used an e-large. It just hadn't been around the block enough for me. I still feel that way since I continually hear things like someone doing 20 racks on the large! Plus that x-large weighed a bloody ton.[p]I didn't realize until I read a post yesterday that you could fill up the dome with meat and it might touch the thermometer and throw the temp off.[p]I don't think that's what happened in my case (low temp at the end I couldn't raise), I think I ran out of lump. But I will watch for that in the future. It has really been great, all the knowledge on this forum and the willingness of everyone here to answer questions, obviously ad nauseum as new eggers join weekly if not daily.[p]