Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't get my temp over 450

wbradleyworthington
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Help!
I have had my large GE for a couple of months.The first time I lite and cooked I had no problem
hitting 650.
Now I can't get the temp past 450 even with all vents up and lower wide open.
Also after about one hour after 450 my lump coal is completely depleted.
Disappointed and wondering if I have a bad egg.
Appreciate any comments or advise.
Cold shoulder

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Are your air holes unclogged?

Is your lump bigger pieces? Small pieces will clog air holes, but also not burn hot.

Is your lump dry?
  • All air holes and vents clear.Large pieces and small pieces of GBE charcoal.Very dry.
    Even when stored outside and the local temps over 107 last week
    Ash trap completely clean.
    It's only 6 to 7 weeks old
    Thanks so much
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Have you calibrated your thermo? I know my stock thermo is crap. Even after calibration. :(
  • eggteeth
    eggteeth Posts: 52
    I had a similar issue last week.  I took every component out of the egg and used a shop vac to get everything out. Once I got the charcoal out it was clear that dust had accumulated so much that it was clogging up the round grate that sits at the bottom.  I re-loaded everything and it my egg easily hit 700 again.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I would clean out and recalubrate your thermometer. 212 at a rolling boil, for water. I have not used bge lump, but still 1 hr burn at 450 seems it is burning too fast.
  • Thanks folks
    So take the inner ceramic bowl out,and shop vac the entire internal bowl,then recal my thermometer.
    I get puttingnthe thermometer in boiling water.Does the thermometer simply pull out?
    Then how do you reset the temp or adjust if the thermometer is off?
    Is there a calibration screw?
    Appreciate the help
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    There is a screw On the back, just turn To the right temp.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Not really a screw more of a nut
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    if you cant get your temps up the only thing preventing it is poor air flow.  You have fire and fuel, oxygen is the only other component.  There is nothing that can malfunction in the Egg, it has no moving parts.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    How much charcoal are you putting in the BGE?  You should fill it up to at least the bottom of the fire ring.  Sometimes small pieces of charcoal will clog up the air holes in the fire grate. You can buy or make a wiggle rod and insert it into the bottom vent and push it up through the holes.

See this site for a good wiggle rod: http://thirdeyebbq.com/WiggleRods.aspx
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Only other thing is that an infrequenty used egg will take longer to get to temp because it will get damp. Takes a long time to drive out that water. Same can happen after extended rain
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Only other thing is that an infrequenty used egg will take longer to get to temp because it will get damp. Takes a long time to drive out that water. Same can happen after extended rain
    Stike nailed it. Earlier this year when we were getting timely rains and had humidity, the inside of my Egg was often damp or just downright WET. Took a long time to get up to temp using the leftover lump still in the Egg. I have since been leaving my bottom vent open after a cook is snuffed out. That, in combination with this drought, has resulted in the inside being rather dry. I have been noticing temps climbing very quickly after lighting the lump.

Anytime there is moisture in the Egg and/or lump, it takes energy to boil it off - which is wasted heat. The same concept works when burning wood in a furnace. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    To calibrate The BGE and virtually every mechanical thermometer I've ever seen, place as much of the probe as you can into boiling water for at least one minute then hold the nut on the back of the dial with a wrench and turn the dial until it reads the correct temperature, usually 212F/100C for boiling water at sea level. Because the BGE thermometer sits in the egg it may need calibration checks only every couple of years or so or if you suspect a problem. The pocket "instant read" ones can get out of whack when you inadvertently turn the dial putting them in and out of your pocket or wiping off the probe. 
    When new, my egg seemed to be running cool, I was only trying to reach 500F and could not get there. Someone on this forum advised to check the gasket was seated correctly using the dollar bill test. On a cold egg, place a dollar bill between the closed dome and bottom at the 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 o'clock positions. Pull it out. The tension should be same. Mine was tight at the front and basically open at the rear, no tension at all. Once I readjusted the upper band, problem solved, she will now bury the needle.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!