Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 VERY Small brisket flats........help

tvest43
tvest43 Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

One is 1.5, the other 1.25.   Any help on this?   Sucks living in Virginia trying to find them, and keeping any moisture is gonna be a problem.

Comments

• do them travis' way They will be good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Here's a link to the above method-

Travis Brisket method Enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • And don't buy 1lb trimmed brisket anymore. it's seriously better to do pork shoulder, ribs, and other locally available specialties than try to force these cuts meant to be braised into something they are not. Save your money- I[ve tried it all and these small trimmed cuts just dont work as BBQ

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    And don't buy 1lb trimmed brisket anymore. it's seriously better to do pork shoulder, ribs, and other locally available specialties than try to force these cuts meant to be braised into something they are not. Save your money- I[ve tried it all and these small trimmed cuts just dont work as BBQ

Best advise on the forum
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The small brisket flats are great to grind for terrific burgers...that's about all...
  • The small brisket flats are great to grind for terrific burgers...that's about all...
    And stuff like corned beef and pastrami. But not bbq

• tvest43
    Problem is, guys, here in Virginia, you can't find the good stuff.....this kinda stuff is all you can find.   Gonna try the Travis method....heck, I'm only out 9 bucks.....Thanks for the advice.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    grinding for burger or braising would be what i would try

this was a brasciole with flank but brisket would work too

braise til tender

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Problem is, guys, here in Virginia, you can't find the good stuff.....this kinda stuff is all you can find.   Gonna try the Travis method....heck, I'm only out 9 bucks.....Thanks for the advice.
    I hear you. Was just saying that they have plenty of good stuff to Que over there. Pork, Chicken, Ribs, Beef Shoulder roasts. These tiny briskets will drive you nuts trying to bbq them.

If you want great BBQ beef, do a shoulder or chuck roast at 250-275 dome until it's about 205 internal. Shred it up, sauce it,  and eat it on sammies. It's just as good as brisket and you can get it anywhere. Keep looking for whole briskets, or at least whole flats. These stores are cutting these small flats from whole flats. Ask the store to hold one for you. Check Sam's, Costco, Restaurant Depot, Whole foods and butchers. Tell them what you are after (a whole, packer cut brisket in the cryovac or a whole untrimmed flat in cryovac). You'll find one.

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I did a chuck for BBQ beef a couple weeks ago and I am not sure I am going to bother with Brisket ever again.  I have only done a couple, but it appears to be a picky cut of meat.
  • I did a chuck for BBQ beef a couple weeks ago and I am not sure I am going to bother with Brisket ever again.  I have only done a couple, but it appears to be a picky cut of meat.
    Correct. It is very fussy. Chuck roasts are great and have wonderful beef bbq flavor
  • tvest43

Thanks, Cen-Tex.  Gonna do it using the Travis method......partially, just to smoke it.   Know damn well if I leave on the egg too long it's gonna be shoe leather.  Gonna smoke it first - and then cheat overnight.  The old crockpot, with the mixture from Travis' deal.  Will see how it turns out, heck, it's just for sandwiches....

• Thanks, Cen-Tex.  Gonna do it using the Travis method......partially, just to smoke it.   Know @#!*% well if I leave on the egg too long it's gonna be shoe leather.  Gonna smoke it first - and then cheat overnight.  The old crockpot, with the mixture from Travis' deal.  Will see how it turns out, heck, it's just for sandwiches....

should be good. I would put an hour or 2 at 225 or so in it, then braise it in Trav's stuff. it will be good.