Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustrated . .

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just curious about everyones thoughts about the cooks illustrated site / magazine ? Many members here ?

I joined recently and got my first mag for july & august, a very good read but yet to try anything step-by-step. Mag has grilling tips for jerk chicken, short ribs, turkey burgers, smoked salmon, etc !
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    One of my favorites, although I refuse to pay extra to get on their website.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've been a subscriber since Day 1, and I subscribe to the Website, too (much easier to find the recipes). I've cooked dozens and dozens of things and have hit only a few clinkers. A few recipes seem more trouble than they're worth, but just a few. (Their satay, for instance, vs. Saveur's satay.) Just this week I tried their grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts with lime and chipolte. Fantastic. Really moist. And I love the copy: "I cooked 200 lobsters to find the best method. ..."
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NDG
    Options
    Ha yea "200 lobsters . ." is a great sample size - instant credibility - good to hear the positive words from the BGE community about C.I. I was a little worried when I read the reviews on smokers and they dogged the big green egg, but I can forgive them.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I agree with Botch.I used to subscribe I like most of their recipes but when you go to their web site for recipes they want you to sign up for something and want money.Too many other sites who share their recipes for free.
  • NDG
    Options
    I have website access as well as magazine suscription, but some recipes/videos are listed aa "editors choice" (or something like that) which requires even MORE money to view, so I think its actualy 3 levels of membership.

Personally I don't mind because no advertisements in the magazine and website is unique and I will support this refreshing medium with my $.
    Columbus, OH

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just curious about everyones thoughts about the cooks illustrated site / magazine ? Many members here ?

I joined recently and got my first mag for july & august, a very good read but yet to try anything step-by-step. Mag has grilling tips for jerk chicken, short ribs, turkey burgers, smoked salmon, etc !

We love it. use the site much more than the mag but it is a great resource. many of the recipes I post on here started there
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I am a subcriber to magazine, it is actually a gift every year, and the website. I prefer the website. I attribute buying a bge to thrm, they did a product review and it was first time i had ever seen one.

They're also on twitter if you do twitter. Chris Kimball and Americas Test Kitchen.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I also subscribe to the print and web versions, in addition to having the I-phone app. Recipe search is wonderful. I draw the line at cooks country. Dont see the need for both.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • rickHP
    rickHP Posts: 49
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have been an off and on subscriber for many years (currently "on") and it is the only food magazine I currently get. I think that pros are that the recipes generally work well and they provide useful equipment and ingredient tips and testing.  I agree with some others that the recipes are sometimes overly involved and nitpicky relative to the benefits (give me a recipe with 4 steps that gets me to 90% of perfect rather than 15 steps to get the extra 10%). I'm also the type of person who would say "give me the right answer, thanks". rather than read an article about the 200 different approaches you tried before getting to the right answer, although sometimes this can be interesting.

I also find that relative to its cost, it has a limited number of recipes per issue, and I find sometimes I toss it aside when it has nothing that interests me. Which is the main reason I have dropped the subscription a couple of times.

This sounds like a lot of negatives, but it definitely has its strengths, and I recommend giving it a shot and see what you think. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I have been an off and on subscriber for many years (currently "on") and it is the only food magazine I currently get. I think that pros are that the recipes generally work well and they provide useful equipment and ingredient tips and testing.  I agree with some others that the recipes are sometimes overly involved and nitpicky relative to the benefits (give me a recipe with 4 steps that gets me to 90% of perfect rather than 15 steps to get the extra 10%). I'm also the type of person who would say "give me the right answer, thanks". rather than read an article about the 200 different approaches you tried before getting to the right answer, although sometimes this can be interesting.

I also find that relative to its cost, it has a limited number of recipes per issue, and I find sometimes I toss it aside when it has nothing that interests me. Which is the main reason I have dropped the subscription a couple of times.

This sound like a lot of negatives, but it definitely has its strengths, and I recommend giving it a shot and see what you think. 

I agree completely. I never read the mags and we have recently stopped taking them. I only use the web for searches that I am interested in. Don't have time to read a 6 page article on how to roast a chicken (although their roasted chicken is the bomb).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options

I use the website quite a bit and find both Cooks Country and Cooks Illustrated to be a great resource of recipes.  You should try their Delmonico Potatoes.....dang good.  Every year I buy the consolidated hardcover book (both Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country) that consolidates the magazines throughout the year as a christmas gift for myself and significant other.  There is also a feed you should check out.

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/