Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a thought....

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking.....

If I were to take a corrugated dryer exhaust hose, and clamp it to the exhaust of the egg (gently), could this be used to grill inside a garage in the winter? Similar to how we would connect a hose to the exhaust of a vehicle when I installed car audio at best buy. We would run the hose from the exhaust of the car, and out the hold in the garage. The egg would also heat the garage if needed, mine is insulated so it will stay nice and toasty! 

Is this a ridiculous thought or will the egg be fine in really cold temps? I have seen people use some kind of insulator for the eggs and smokers outside for cold weather cooking, but thought that this may be easier.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• I cooked all winter in 20 below in WI for years. If you are worried about the egg, don't be. If you are worried about you standing in the cold, then either suck it up or you could rig something up. Problem is, what happens when you open it? Your garage will fill with smoke and look like my college apartment or the set froma cheech and chong movie. 

You don't need any insulator for the egg. This is the whole reason I bought one, so i could cook outside in WI winters and it worked like a champ.

Gotta love living in the upper Midwest....it's July and you are already worried about winter :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    Haha, just planning ahead... I guess I will stick to the old heater to keep the garage warm when we have people over. I thought about that as far as when I lifted the lid, but if your garage already looks like your college apartment, the smoke will help mask it ;)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Haha, just planning ahead... I guess I will stick to the old heater to keep the garage warm when we have people over. I thought about that as far as when I lifted the lid, but if your garage already looks like your college apartment, the smoke will help mask it ;)
    Roger that...................oh that's just a brisket going out there. Move along. 
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    Firstly, I have never heard of folks using "insulators" for the Egg (other grills perhaps, but more than likely not any ceramic grills).  The ceramic of the Egg *IS* an insulator, that's what makes it so efficient!! 

That'd be like putting a coat on a dog - don't be that guy!! ;) 

There are folks who use their Eggs in rain, sleet, snow... The Egg can withstand MUCH MUCH worse weather than you can!!

As far as using it in the garage - perhaps it can be done, but as Cen-Tex said, once you open the lid, all bets are off.  Also, there's the lower vent too, and if the Egg feels that it cannot get enough exhaust out the upper vent due to the dryer hose being too long or something like that, it may use the lower vent as both an intake & exhaust.  Also, I'm sure there will still be CO & CO2 being produced that the dryer hose doesn't capture. 

Personally, if I was going to try something like that, I'd leave the garage door open about a foot or so, or if you have windows in your garage, open them.  It would suck to pass out / die of asphyxiation all cuz you wanted to cook in your garage!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Heck, I want to see you try it.  Get a carbon monoxide detector and just don't open the lid until you're pulling off the food.

The aluminum dryer tube and egg will heat the garage.  Starting will be slower because you'll probably want to keep the lid closed.  Remember, heat rises, so you'll have to have an incline in the effluent hose.

The "screw the gaskets, you don't need them" rule, of course, is now out the window.  You need them.

If the CO detector starts howling, open the garage door, and air out the garage.
    Problems like this are a big reason why I'm glad I moved to Texas.
  • Problems like this are a big reason why I'm glad I moved to Texas.
    Amen. Couldn't get back fast enough.
  • That'd be like putting a coat on a dog - don't be that guy!!  

Bwahahahahah. Nice.
  • michigan_jason
    That'd be like putting a coat on a dog - don't be that guy!!  

Bwahahahahah. Nice.
    This is a valid point. Perhaps the better idea would be to cook outside the garage, then when done, bring the egg inside the garage to heat it up and not use propane.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Real bad idea to gook indoors with charcoal. You would need an industrial hood and vent with fire supression to be safe. As someone that has had a bbq relqted house fire I'm hear to tell you...get a snowmobile suit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Real bad idea to gook indoors with charcoal. You would need an industrial hood and vent with fire supression to be safe. As someone that has had a bbq relqted house fire I'm hear to tell you...get a snowmobile suit

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728

Bwahahahahah. Nice.
    Lmao!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    Well...I agree with the consensus. Cook outside...I will BE bringing the hot egg in the warm the garage however.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    :)) let us know how that works out for ya.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458

Bwahahahahah. Nice.

Well hold on there now. This goes on her every hunting season. I don't need anybody mistaking our newf for a bear...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe