Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Disaster???

probe1957
probe1957 Posts: 222
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I recently re-did my BBQ area and as part of the conversion decided to move my large Egg from a table to a nest.  Weird, I know, but a nest just works better in the new setup.  Got it completed night before last and told the wife I had it done.  Because we were going out for margaritas, she didn't take the time to inspect my work.

Last night I am downstairs defrosting my bar fridge when the wife comes down and the following conversation ensues:

WIFE:  I did a terrible thing.
ME:  What did you do?
WIFE:  I broke your Egg.
ME:  >>DELETED.<<  Family forum and all.

Once I calmed down to the point I could listen to the details of the tragedy, it seems she was removing the cover to look at the new nest/mate combo.  The rain cap somehow got stuck in the cover and went crashing to the concrete pad.  Broke into an estimated 27 pieces.

Anyone know, is a ceramic cap cheaper than a large Egg?

Comments

• That has happened to several folks on here. Sucks but unless you want a 27 pc JB Weld job and a franken-cap, time to buy a new cap.........but, not a new egg, thank god!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Depends on whether you are buying a new wife as well :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • probe1957
    Lou, I know from personal experience that new wives cost A LOT more money than a new Egg.  :)
  • Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Tell her you have to buy a new egg to get a new cap. It is a long shot but you can see if she takes the bait!!
  • probe1957
    Good idea, MT.  I will have to tell her that, as luck will have it, I can buy a small Egg and for an extra $30 get a new cap for my large.  What an incredible savings that would be.

You guys are smart.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    I would tell her that you obviously need an XL egg so that this can never happen again!  Also, make her feel guilty for the foreseeable future and quietly purchase a new cap.
    XL BGE
  • Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    edited July 2012
    Good idea, MT.  I will have to tell her that, as luck will have it, I can buy a small Egg and for an extra $30 get a new cap for my large.  What an incredible savings that would be.

You guys are smart.
    Unfortunately I could never try that on my wife. She knows exactly how much it costs and everything that we have for the egg. It doesn't even work for my golf stuff. She knows everything in my bag. But my wife is great, if I want something she is usually behind what ever I want. It was her idea to go ahead and get the egg. I had looked at them for many many years. She even went to purchase it with me and said the large was to small and I needed to get the XL.

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

You guys are smart.
    Unfortunately I could never try that on my wife. She knows exactly how much it costs and everything that we have for the egg. It doesn't even work for my golf stuff. She knows everything in my bag. But my wife is great, if I want something she is usually behind what ever I want. It was her idea to go ahead and get the egg. I had looked at them for many many years. She even went to purchase it with me and said the large was to small and I needed to get the XL.
    More proof that women really do believe bigger is better!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Tell her you have to buy a new egg to get a new cap. It is a long shot but you can see if she takes the bait!!
    It's the only way. If you get the new egg, then you can share the one cap between the 2. You can begrudgingly accept this compromise because you love your wife so much and would hate to see her so sad for taking your beloved egg from you over a silly cap. 

It's not your fault that you didn't find out that caps were sold separately a few months from now. :)

• probe1957
    >>
    It's not your fault that you didn't find out that caps were sold separately a few months from now.
    <<

A couple of things here:

1.  I am exactly stupid enough to do that.
    2.  EVERYTHING is ALWAYS my fault.
  • probe1957
    More proof that women really do believe bigger is better!!!

I married my wife because she said that didn't matter.
  • There are at least a couple folks on here who have had custom ceramic caps made. 

Mike is the latest one I saw:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141451/finished-my-table-with-a-bunch-of-custom-accessories#latest

FWIW, I also broke my cap, but I was able to put it back together using JB Weld - ain't purdy, but it works!! 
    :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Do you know why a husband should never remember his mistakes???  There is no reason in both of you remembering it for the rest of your life. :D

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Do you know why a husband should never remember his mistakes???  There is no reason in both of you remembering it for the rest of your life. :D
    so true
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I wouldnt worry about it. I cook without a cap unless i am doing a low cook. I had shutdown with DW for months too.
  • dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32
    The same thing happen to me the first day I had my egg. It was a $47 education. I have since learned that the cover will suck the cap off if you use the handle on to to remove the egg cover.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Sounds like you need a new cap! But if that happens here, I would be using the above mentioned suggestions! Oh and whoever said size does not matter, well it does, shoes, clothes, eggs, the list goes on and on. BUT, it goes both ways! ;)
  • probe1957
    I got a new cap at the dealer for $25.87 with tax.  Not bad at all.  And I didn't buy anything else while I was there.