Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone like fishing?

michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in Off Topic
This is what I did last weekend about 6am till 10am on lake st clair. We put over 50 in the boat, but only took pics of a few... Here they are.. enjoy..

Taking my dad out tomorrow morning and hunting musky, smallies, and eyes... we will see what we find...

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I like eating them. Where are your fish cook posts?
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Very nice. I haven't been in awhile. This is from a few years ago out of San Diego. 
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Nice looking fish guys. I like to fish but don't do it often since I live in central North Carolina. The parents have a little place at the Outer Banks of NC and we go a few times a year. When we go I like to go on the fishing pier that is walking distance from their place. I hit the pier and the wife hits the beach. Good times. I am going for 10 days first week of August and will probably try to fish most every day. I've never caught any fish as big as those you guys have though. Usually get spot, croaker and bluefish. You have to hit the end of the pier with some heavy duty tackle to get the big stuff. Since I don't go often never invested in the heavy duty tackle. It's a good time though. From the pics you can see the view from the pier, very relaxing. Also a couple of spot I caught two at a time. Obviously a lot smaller than what you guys reeled in, ha ha.
  • michigan_jason
    I have about 4lbs of frozen walleye in the freezer, but haven't cooked it yet due to one of the fisherman not being able to make it out to cook yet.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Size don't matter as long as your catching keepers.  <:-P
  • michigan_jason
    Size don't matter as long as your catching keepers.  <:-P
    you're right, it doesn't mater, well...NEVER MIND. Lol

• ncbbq
    Ha Ha. Yeah I just do it for fun. I am not really a fan of eating fish so I either throw them back or give them to other folks on the pier that want them.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Love fishin, don't catch many but the BEER is good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    I've never caught a fish that didn't end up costing less than $84 / pound.  That's cheap compared to the deer meat I've brought home.   :-?
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Ha Ha. Yeah I just do it for fun. I am not really a fan of eating fish so I either throw them back or give them to other folks on the pier that want them.

Ncbbq- is that Duck?
    Greensboro, NC
  • ncbbq
    Avalon Fishing Pier in Kill Devil Hills, NC.
  • radar7792
    radar7792 Posts: 10
    We do some tuna fishing down here
  • I've never caught a fish that didn't end up costing less than $84 / pound.  That's cheap compared to the deer meat I've brought home.   :-?
    Too true. I had a boat rigged for salmon on Lake Ontario a while back. It cost me over 1,000 bucks a pound for inedible fish
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Love to fish, but the water is way too warm on this side of the lake. Pike are dying by the thousands, and I'm staying out of the trout streams these days until the temps drop and water levels rise.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    I've never caught a fish that didn't end up costing less than $84 / pound.  That's cheap compared to the deer meat I've brought home.   :-?
    Too true. I had a boat rigged for salmon on Lake Ontario a while back. It cost me over 1,000 bucks a pound for inedible fish
    I live here in rochester and I hear I should not eat out of ontario. The finger lakes are safe though. Haven't lived here long so I haven't gotten a chance for any good trout but looking forward to catching and smoking some.
  • Ranger908
    Ranger908 Posts: 44

ncbbg - Them NC Spot may be small, but they are some of the best tasting fish going.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Love to bass fish, but don't eat them.  Have a Bass Cat Cougar FTD/Mercury combo. It's my stress relief.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    I like the bass cats, this is the boat that i want to buy right here. Pretty nice setup.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3113296111.html

heres another

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3061485966.html

• ncbbq
    edited July 2012

ncbbg - Them NC Spot may be small, but they are some of the best tasting fish going.

Well if you like spot you would have loved this day about 3 years ago. There were 4 of us filling up this cooler. There was a day on the same pier last year even better than that but I couldn't take pictures because I was too busy catching fish. You were practically guaranteed to pull up two large spot every time you threw in a bottom rig with artificial blood worms. Almost like someone was down there putting them on the hook for you. If you switched to a gotcha plug you would pull up a bluefish. I was catching spot on bare hooks that day. Never seen anything like it. We finally left because we were tired of catching fish. Bet you thought you'd never hear that from a fisherman.

By the way catching a fish like that one you did on a kayak looks like a great time. Congrats.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I like the bass cats, this is the boat that i want to buy right here. Pretty nice setup.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3113296111.html

heres another

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/3061485966.html

And that is what you need living by the big lakes. A wise choice.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    The first spot is actualy a red drum. The second fish being called spot are croaker but the fish market changed the name to make it sound better.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Our lakehouse is located on Lake Cumberland in Kentucky.  I fish for stripers there year around.  Here is a photo with a couple of fat stripers caught last February.  Stripers are very good on the BGE.  I also cook a lot of sakmon and halibut on the egg  from an annual trip to Alaska.
  • I've never caught a fish that didn't end up costing less than $84 / pound.  That's cheap compared to the deer meat I've brought home.   :-?
    So true! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

I'm not far behind I bet ha

I do bass fishing at a ton of cat fishing. Somedays I go to lake to drink beer and just bring the rod with me ha.
    Boom
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited July 2012

This is a little OT for this thread but check this out.

http://youtu.be/ZcuYjDR2tSg

• burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503

I've done a study of cost of catching fish.  Typically I'll come home from Alaska with 150 pounds of salmon, halibut and cod fillets. Lets see, air fare food, lodge fees, cost of fish $46 per pound.

At our lake house, cost of home, boats, maintenance, etc...cost of fish, $2,650 per pound.

Fish market is looking better.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    all i know is that if i didnt fish every weekend i would be spending 4 times the amount in a bar
    :))im saving tones of money
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ranger908
    Ranger908 Posts: 44

Travis,

Your are of course correct.  My fish is a Redfish/ Red Drum.  ucbbg's first fish and second tub of fish are Spot/Croaker.  His taste entirely different from mine.  His taste good.  Mine got released, too big to taste good.   In Virginia and the Carolinas the Spot is a Spot - If you get to the gulf coast Texas, MS, LA its a croaker.  NC has the "Carolina Spot Festival" so how could they be wrong.

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Fish, beer, egg in some type of order then the work thing gets in the way.

this was from a fun night with the wife.