Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On average - whats your optimal cooking temp

Stoater
Stoater Posts: 292
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

Being a newbie and having had a few burnt sacrifices in my learning process with my bge I have come to the realization that just because the temp on the dome thermo reads 500 it doesnt mean the grill level is te same its actually a whole lot hotter, would this be correct?

What do most people cook at on average would it be best to cook the majority of meals between 350-400 other than searing steaks and low and slow cooks not to mention pizza.

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    The extremes are easy...I think. For general grilling, I shoot for 400s and then change my grate elevation based on the meat I'm cooking. I struggle the most with getting an even fire but lucky for me, I don't tyoically have my grate full of meat so it's easier bunch mea to the hot or cool side as needed. Hope this helps.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Okay- as you are aware, most likely with indirect ( heat deflector in place) cooks the dome thermo will run about 20-40*f higher than the grate when starting out.  Longer the dome is shut the less the temp difference.  On direct cooks, the grate will get the full measure of heat from the lump and the dome will be lower than the cooking surface.  Raised grid- gets you further from the lump and closer to the dome temp.  You have at least one thermometer to run this BGE with.  Make sure it is calibrated and get comfortable with what the number it gives you means relative to the method you are using to cook. Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    375/400 for most cooks for me.
    I control more by raising height than temp.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    400-425 is my sweet spot for most things.  Veggies are around 350.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    For me as follows:

Low and slow 250 - 275 indirect
    Bonless chicken breasts 350 - 400 direct
    Burgers 450 direct
    Steaks 600 - 650 direct
    Pizza 600 - 650 indirect

When I got my gasket replaced with the high heat version from the mothership they sent me some information about loving my gasket. It said that 700 dome is easily 1000 at grid level in a direct cook.
  • Stoater
    Thanks a lot guys great responses I will take your knowledge and climb up the big green egg ladder a notch.
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I'm curious as to what you folks think is the difference (if any) between a grill on top of the place setter and another one elevated about 4 inches above with the homemade rack extender many post.  I cooked two pork butts like this and they were both great but I was worried since I only had one temp probe to use.  Any expected difference in temps when indirect with a 4-5 inch difference in elevation?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i cold smoke around 80-100, and sear around 1500

so call the average about 750-800 :)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Stoater
    i cold smoke around 80-100, and sear around 1500

so call the average about 750-800 :)
    Smart Arse  :)
  • for just regular "grilling" I try to get the dome thermometer to read somewhere between 350-400. 

One thing I've learned in my "egg-sperience" is that I don't have to be so anal about trying to hit EXACTLY 350, or EXACTLY 400, etc.  Sometimes the Egg, for a variety of reasons, seems to want to hover at a temp that is slightly higher or lower than my desired temp...

and I've learned that I can get just as good results by letting the Egg hover where it wants to as opposed to fussing & fighting w/ it trying to chase the "exact" temp up & down.

After all, when it's all said & done, it's just cooking food, it's not NASA conducting precise thermal tests.  ;)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Fahrenheit 451 when I want to put a nice bark on a book
    350-400 for most stuff
    250 for low and slow
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Wait...are we talking dome temp or grate level? =))

350-400 for most grilling (dome)

275 for low and slow (dome), 250 (grate)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    how can you answer this question, i dont even cook different chicken parts at the same temp
    :)) thighs direct at 275, wings direct at 300, breasts direct at 325, chicken spatchcock 375/400. that being said, i went over a year cooking in an egg with no dome gage, no gages whatsoever for pit temps and the food was still good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Agree Fishless...Every cook is a little different, so "optimal" isn't something that can apply across the board.
  • Stoater
    Guess I should have been a bit more specific with that question, although I have learn't quite a lot from this post so thanks to you all, I guess a breakdown on cuts of meat would be good and suggested temp, internal temp, direct or indirect, something like this:

Chicken Breast - Direct Dome Temp 400 - internal Temp 142 - Rough Time 35 mins
    Pork Butt - Indirect Dome Temp 265 - internal Temp 190 - Rough Time 1.5 hours per #

I realise this is going to be different for each individual, but maybe somone with a few years of egg cooking behind their belt could post something, or is there something already out there that could be used as a guide for all us newbies, or am I mad, and looking for the impossible, if so I will shut up.

Cheers
  • People will do different foods in different ways. For example, you can cook a beef rib roast at 200*F or at 500*F and get great results either way. Your best bet would be to follow a cookbook guide for oven temps and see what you like. If there is a specific thing you want to try then ask the question here and you will get different opinions with explaination and hopefully pictures. UK?
  • Stoater
    Thanks Steven,

from UK yes living in Canada, if thats what your asking, if it wasn't and your asking if I'm ok then Yes Lol.

Cheers.