Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Lump

Options
grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was in the store today and I saw a bag of Royal Oak Lump. I have not got my egg yet but I am getting it this week I believe. I picked up the bag because it was only like $7.00. Just wondering if anyone has had good luck with this brand of lump. I read somewhere that Royal Oak makes BGE brand lump. Yes I know I may be getting ahead of myself buying a bag before I have my egg but I plan on using my BGE the moment it is in my possession.
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Works for me.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Lots of eggers use this brand of lump.  Did you get a red bag that says it is made in the USA.  Bag is maybe more orange.

I live in a small town and Walmart is the only place I can buy lump and Royal Oak is the only brand they carry.

I am satisfied with it.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Most dealers will throw a 20 pound bag of BGE charcoal in with the sale or the egg.  Yes, RO makes BGE lump and there are tons of threads on this forum that express everyone's opinion and there are hundreds of opinions.  The naked whiz has a great charcoal comparison on his website.  I've been using Dragon Breath exclusively since the 1st of July and I think it is better than RO, Ozark Oak, Wicked Good, and at least tied with Humphrey lump.  You can use the seach function on the forum or google lump charcoal reviews.  I hope you get your egg soon - you will wonder why you waited as soon as you do your first cook.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• grillingunner
    Options
    Yep it was from Walmart duganboy. That's quite a stash of royal lump Doc eggerton. I hope I don't need that much for my first cook. Any ideas on how much lump I will need for my first cook. I am getting a large egg. I may have to pick up a few more bags.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Yep it was from Walmart duganboy. That's quite a stash of royal lump Doc eggerton. I hope I don't need that much for my first cook. Any ideas on how much lump I will need for my first cook. I am getting a large egg. I may have to pick up a few more bags.
    That is about 2.5 month's worth, and I cook on an XL and a LBGE every night.  Fill it up, cook, use what is left for the next night.  It does go a long way.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    I use Royal Oak from Wal Mart.    It is close to me and at a good price.    You will be surpised at how little lump you use at each cook.   Just fill the egg up and add when you need to.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    As others have told you, you will be amazed at how little lump you use providing you lose the bottom vent and put your ceramic cap back on as soon as the cook is finished.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I filled up to the fire ring one time, did a 16 hour low and slow, shut her down and had about half left the next day. The BGE is very efficient with lump usage especially with low and slow.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for all the info can't wait to get my egg
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Thanks for all the info can't wait to get my egg
    You're gonna love it!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Royal Oak is a great fuel for your Egg that's all I use

Ross
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    I paid $6.47 at walmart for a 8.8 lb bag.  I was in The Restauant Depot yesterday, and they have 17.3 lb bags for $10.00.  Next time i am there i will stock up!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"