Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heading to Woodford Reserve, any good eats in the area?

ncbbq
ncbbq Posts: 257
edited July 2012 in Off Topic
Since I have to go to a wedding for the wife's family in southwest Ohio, I managed to talk her into letting me visit a couple of distilleries in Kentucky. Any Kentucky area eggers know of some good eats in the area. BBQ would be good but it doesn't have to be that. Some kind of good locally owned establishment would be nice. Just want something better than fast food. We will probably be eating breakfast and/or lunch in the area and maybe dinner.  We will arrive very late at night in Lexington to stay at a hotel and will then head over to Versailles to Woodford Reserve in the morning. Any tips would be appreciated. I know this isn't an egg related question, but I know that eggers know good food.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    My suggestion would be more Woodford-and the "double oak" if they offer.  Wish I could be of more help but I'm about 80 miles from Lex-and no good suggestions.  I know Duganboy is familiar with that part of the country so hopefully he will be along and help you out.  Regardless, nice score on the side-trip.  You may have to offer "negotiating to a successful out-come  with the SWMBO" tutorial..I know I would benefit :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    I don't know how well I would be at a tutorial. I think I just lucked out on this one.
  • If you want BBQ, their is not a ton of good options around Lexington. Red State BBQ would be one I would recommend. 4020 Georgetown Rd, Lexington, KY 40511 is the address.

For a non BBQ not too pricey option, I recommend Winchell's. They have a fairly diverse menu which does include BBQ ( check the specials board when you walk in). My favorite thing there is the Shrimp and Grits. It's one of the better entrees in town IMO. Don't let the look from the outside and the sports bar atmosphere fool you, the food is very good. Both owners actually work in the kitchen and both have culinary degrees and have worked in some prestigious restaurants. Address is 348 Southland Drive Lexington, KY 40503

If you are in the mood for fine dining, try Azur. The executive chef Jeremy Ashby is a personal friend and a VERY talented chef. Their menu is seasonal, always changing and always using local ingredients when possible. They have a brick oven for pizza which is very very good. Don't forget dessert, it's always very good. Plus Chef Jeremy is a fellow Egger! This place would be my top recommendation. Address is 3070 Lakecrest Circle, Suite 550 Lexington, Kentucky 40513
  • Also, if you are doing several distillery tours, I recommend Buffalo Trace. It is amazing. Something to be mindful of is that Woodford is the only distillery that charges for tours, not much but just a heads up. It's Ike $5 I think. Well worth it. Woodford and Buffalo Trace would be my top 2 must tours. Enjoy the smells!
  • ncbbq
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. They all sound good to me.
  • ncbbq
    Thanks for the head's up on Buffalo Trace. I know I wanted to try to hit two but haven't decided on the second. I was thinking about Four Roses or Wild Turkey as I think they were nearby. If Buffalo Trace is close I may go there as my second. I wanted to go to Maker's Mark but it was a little too far west since this is just a side trip on the way to Ohio. I've never been to any of them so it should be a good time.