Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

You Can't Be Serious

blaccjack
blaccjack Posts: 37
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been waiting for my XLBGE for almost two weeks now. Super excited to see it come today. Just one huge problem. No assembly box. Remember newbies if you're going to put together your own XLBGE, it comes with two boxes. Such a huge tease looking at my Humpty Dumpty. I'll put you together one day...

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    What did your dealer have to say about that?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If your dealer has an upcharge for assembly, then this one should be "on them" at a minimum.  For the future-other dealers in the area....
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blaccjack
    They are "looking into it." They lady I've spoken with is really helpful and nice, but I'm ready for some grilling. I need to seal the table anyway. So I couldn't put the egg in today. Still frustrating.
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Mine was broken when I opened the box. My local dealer swapped it out next day. Good luck. Like Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part."
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Mine was broken when I opened the box. My local dealer swapped it out next day. Good luck. Like Tom Petty said "the waiting is the hardest part."
    I thought he said "last dance with mary jane"?
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    When I got my Large it was fully assembled when they put it in my truck and my neighbors feeling sorry for the old man carried it in the house and out to the back porch and put it in the nest. That was a good deal because I would have played heck getting it in the house from the truck if I did get it out without breaking it.
  • blaccjack
    I was actually looking forward to putting it together. I even watched the videos lol. Now I just have a big green M&M looking object begging to be used.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Good time to replace the gasket with a high heat version. It easy to do when it's new.
  • blaccjack

Do you notice a difference? Gasket compared to no gasket?

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    edited July 2012

Do you notice a difference? Gasket compared to no gasket?

That's one of life's eternal debates.  Some guys will say no need for a gasket, other's will replace them the second they develop a burned spot.  Still other's replace them with high temperature automotive gaskets.  I think you should use a gasket at least until you have the temperature control down.  Now once you've done a few pizza's or a clean burn there won't be much of the gasket left.  Mine's pretty much gone at the back of the egg, and I'll probably replace it eventually, maybe.

Welcome to the site, tons of great people here.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Once it starts burning, get rid of it. Otherwise you will get some inside the egg and your cook. I havent had one for a while and am literally in the final 3rd of a cook started at 11pm. Grill has been at 225 without a hiccup the whole time.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Brownie
    BGE sent me a new nomex gasket when I asked them for some tips on how to preserve my rapidly deteriorating felt gasket......That was months ago (I still haven't replaced it), and spots of mine are completely missing as well. Did a manual overnight cook for the fourth with no consequence. All of the problems I thought were caused by my (lack of) gasket, turned out to be my own mistakes and lack of eggsperience. But to each is own. I am just as satisfied without, so far.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    When I got my Large it was fully assembled when they put it in my truck and my neighbors feeling sorry for the old man carried it in the house and out to the back porch and put it in the nest. That was a good deal because I would have played heck getting it in the house from the truck if I did get it out without breaking it.
    Looks you have pretty smart neighbors ;)
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Brownie you sound like me. I just got them to send me a nomex one as well and I have yet to put it on. One part of my felt one burned and came off entirely. One of these days I will put the new one on, just haven't felt like the hassle yet and it hasn't caused any problems in its current state.
  • Brownie
    Brownie you sound like me. I just got them to send me a nomex one as well and I have yet to put it on. One part of my felt one burned and came off entirely. One of these days I will put the new one on, just haven't felt like the hassle yet and it hasn't caused any problems in its current state.
     I figured why mess with it.

It may be broken (in terms), but it doesn't act like it.
  • blaccjack
    Thanks guys. I'm still having issues with Ferguson (The authorized dealer). They say it will take until Tuesday. I'm about to explode... Never go with a brand new dealer lol. The only good thing is I saved $500. Now I see why.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I feel your pain on the wait. When I bought mine, it was in the fall, and the dealer only had 1 large in stock, and that was the floor model. I never buy floor models....unless you get a really good deal. They were not going to give me any discount for the floor model.  Plus, I did not want to have to load a fully assembled Egg into my truck. I waited almost a week to get my new, in the box Large. That gave me plenty of time to build my table.
  • blaccjack
    Yea the only good thing is I will have time to stain and seal my table. I also have to work this weekend. I just want my egg to get settled in it's home.
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Looks you have pretty smart neighbors ;)
    Newville, one neighbor just got a LBGE and MBGE for $500.00 from his boss so I think he is a pretty lucky guy.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2012
     The only good thing is I saved $500. Now I see why.
    That a serious discount.  I could trade a few days of waiting for that discount. 

Hang tight.  Soon it will be just a funny story told over beers. :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • blaccjack
    Well this got me drinking beers now lol.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I know it hurts now, but in a while it will be nothing but a blip on your radar screen.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• blaccjack
    Thanks guys. I'm going to play the waiting game. I stained my table today. I'll seal it tomorrow. I guess thats the bright side huh lol
  • blaccjack
    Finally they found my second box. I've been trying to egg for almost 3 weeks. I'm going to make some ribs and smoked bologna. If you haven't have smoked bologna you are missing out. I'll take pics of my first meal! Can't wait