Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me spend my money!

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok people, I have a XL and platesetter etc.. I am ready to visit the CGS and get some new toys.

Here is what I want to be able to do:

Wok
Slide racks in and out
Sear
Cook with multiple levels (direct and indirect)
Be able to add wood chunks mid cook when smoke has died out ( I HATE THIS)

I feel like I am missing something, but basically I want to have it all, I don't want to come to a certain time where I say, "damn, I should have added that feature!)

As always, thanks guys. I will be ordering today as soon as I make a decision. (with your help)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Adjustable rig with the slide rails and spider and you should be good to go...a wok too I guess.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    What do I use for indirect then?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Little Steven
    Options
    You can use a pizza stone or firebricks on a lower grid.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Buy the stone for the adjustable rig, it wil enable you to go indirect.  Otherwise i think MQ nailed it.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    A stone either down in the spider or the lowest level or rig...that may come with one of the customer combos they offer...
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    i was looking at this with the slides and 20" grid.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2-adjustable-rig-combo/

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    That's the route i would probabaly go. I have the oval (ribs&brisket) adjustable rig combo for the large and it's awesome for whatever...
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    but this is the woo2, not a spider...do i still get a spider or no?

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    "To Sear, blacken, wok inside the fire ring, use the Woo2's lower ring as the staging platform for your grids, skillets, woks and such.".

That is from the description....that is what the slider would do. It's like the spider is attached to the woo rig...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Slider=spider...not sure why iPhone corrected that.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    You already have the platesetter, so the Woo2 will allow you to use your platesetter, and remove it easily to add more wood or stir coals during a cook.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Wont I have more room not using the plate setter and using the 17.5" stone? Also the plate setter is heavy, and will all that rig and food on top won't it be a little hard to get in and out?

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    You don't seem to care about money....so forget you ever had the platesetter...rig with stone is much more versatile.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    I honestly can't answer all you questions. I have the Woo2, and it suits my needs. You may want to give Tom a call at the store....he should be able to help out.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    You don't seem to care about money....so forget you ever had the platesetter...rig with stone is much more versatile.
    I agree, that is why I thought it would be better. So forget about a spider, get a woo2 adjustable rig combo with stone, drip pan, sliders... anything else?

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    I think you have it nailed...
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can always cut the legs off the platesetter with a grinder and us it for the indirect piece.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    You can always cut the legs off the platesetter with a grinder and us it for the indirect piece.
    LOL, actually would work. Too large though..

• Little Steven
    Options
    I don't think so. Have to look at my xl but I did it on a large and it works perfectly in the rig. One leg was already broken BTW
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Ohh... I may just sell it, or keep it as a backup.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For about $25, you can buy a propane fryer burner that'll pump out 60,000 BTU with better heat control for a wok.  That's what I use.
    Options
    For about $25, you can buy a propane fryer burner that'll pump out 60,000 BTU with better heat control for a wok.  That's what I use.
    I have a high end stainless turkey fryer already, never considered that one....

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    This thread just cost me another $250. I hope you are all proud of yourselves.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Glad to help dlk :))
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    HAHAHA, that is 2 of us, but I started it.

What did you go with?

• AleBrewer
    edited July 2012
    Options

Now that's funny!

It happens on every internet forum I have ever belonged to. Guitars, BBQ, or any cooking forum, Motorcycles, Guns, Beer Brewing stuff,  Chainsaws, Espresso machines, etc...
  • michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    So can i give you my routing number and bank account to help you spend money?
    Hell, with that info I would be spending yours! :P

• dlk7
    Options
    HAHAHA, that is 2 of us, but I started it.

What did you go with?
    The XL woo2 adjustable rig combo including the 20 inch grid and the slider guides.  I still need to get the cast iron grid for the bottom level of the woo2

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Options
    My wife is starting to think I should cancel my internet connection.

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    Options
    lol i just ordered that same setup