Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza pizza pizza :)

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
After the in laws meet the egg I got begged to do pizzas tonight.

Mom in law made the crust and a chicken pesto carmalized onion pizza with Roma tomatoes on one side and a onion and cheese pizza.

On the egg (brand new egg stone since wife fussing bout me using her stuff) at 500-600 for about ten min a pie. They were awesome.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Those really look great.  Looks like you had PS legs down.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Thanks man. Yes I did. Do others do legs up??

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Thanks man. Yes I did. Do others do legs up??
    I think legs up is the norm.  The thinking is that legs up, lets the pizza stone get the hot air directly to the stone, rather than the heat from the platesetter.  

I do them legs up, but never had any better looking than those. 
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I do legs up with the cooking grid and the stone on top of the grid. Just something I read on here. I suspect which ever way works for you is good. I believe the reasoning I read was doing it with legs up and grid was the large air gap between the plate setter and the stone.

But whatever, your pizzas look great so I don't think you are having any problem with your approach. Looks like your gasket is holding up well too. Mine has already burned off in one place and I've only had it for two months. Ironically it was a pizza cook that did me in. The mothership sent me a high temperature one free of charge.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    MrCookingNurse, great looking pies. It is what works for you. I have a friend who uses legs up with a grid holding the stone, he also uses sliced cheese. 
    I do mine legs down (I think my warm up is longer, but I often cook two or three in a row, he usually only does one), stone and setter acting as one "up to temp" mass and I use shredded cheese. Both techniques provide acceptable results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    Haha well thanks guys. The air gap makes real good sense.

XLBGE 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Looks great! When I have tried pizzas I have trouble with getting the dough to the egg or even parchment paper am I overworking the dough or not enough flower on my station? Help??????
  • man those look good ! i did pizza on the eggs for the first time yesterday..they tasted awsome but werent that pretty.only had the egg a week today so i got some learning to do.hard to get real motavated to go out side in the evenings and cook when its 105 degrees in the shade.

• MrCookingNurse
    edited July 2012
    Looks great! When I have tried pizzas I have trouble with getting the dough to the egg or even parchment paper am I overworking the dough or not enough flower on my station? Help??????

The crust were par baked for 5 min on 425 in the oven. Makes em firm enough to work with easier but no where near done.

I was extremely happy with them. I've gotta get her crust recipe.

@refrigerationman
    I know!! I was sweating while cooking these!!

XLBGE 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    great looking pies
    Seattle, WA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I have to try pizza soon, but I think it is more advanced that I am ready for.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    LIzzie,

It's not that advanced if I can do it you can. Of course the wife does all the pizza making and I just do the cooking on the egg. We have just been using store bought dough for now. We have used the Pillsbury stuff in the can and Trader Joe's dough balls. Hopefully I won't offend any of the purists but we just haven't wanted to bother with making our own dough yet. It is something I always consider in the back of my mind though.
  • MrCookingNurse
    @Lizziesamps
    You can do it!! Just watch out for flashbacks when you start getting over 500•
    This is first time I've used homemade dough. Mominlaw did all the constructing I just egg'd em.

I usually do store bought crust or Digiorno!

XLBGE 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Try rolling the dough out on the parchment. The parchment will slide off of the peel easily. Bake the pie on parchment for 2-3 minutes and pull the parchment. Works every time.

@LizzieSamps you can do it. For high temp pies, stay away from store bought dough. Most will burn due to the high sugar content. I make my own, 2 batches at a time. One batch makes 2 pies. I freeze the second batch for use the next time.

FWIW I've always done legs down, plumbing tees on PS, then stone on top of plumbing tees. Pies cook at 600.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    MrCookingNurse great looking pies! Could you send your M-I-L over to give me some construction lessons?

refrigerationman Shape doesn't matter, only the taste. You pies look exceptional compared to my first pie. I didn't realize folks built pies on the peel and use cornmeal, flour, or PP, to get the pie off the peel! What a mess that was! Have a look. image
  • i didnt pre-cook the crust...i guess that was my mistake .i built the pizzas on raw doe and put them on the egg.i took me more time to fight with that soft dough to just slide it off on the egg.i dont have a pizza peel either ...gotta get one of those !!
  • Brownie
    refrigerationman I never precook my dough. I build them like this.  

Roll out dough on floured counter
    Peel on counter next to rolled out dough
    Cornmeal spread evenly on peel
    Dough on cornmealed peel
    Sauce
    Parmesan cheese (it tends to burn on top)
    Toppings
    Cheese

Give the peel a little jiggle forward and backward, once the dough touches that hot stone the pizza will slide rite off. I usually set a 3-4 min timer and start my next pie on the peel.  Once the timer goes off I check the pizza for bubbly cheese and nice browned crust (bottom). I will slide the cooked pizza onto a plate from the pizza stone. and start over again.
  • Duganboy
    A peel is a necessity and the learning curve isn't very steep at all.  You will soon learn that you just need a little corn meal, but spread everywhere the dough is touching.  A little wrist flip and it slides right off.  Once you learn how to do that little wrist flip, that is. :D
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok, trying it this weekend I believe.  Had leftovers tonight!  I need to buy a peel for sure!
  • i put cornmeal on my stone but only used flour up until that point.learned if you get stone to hot cornmeal goes up in smoke quick.never have a charcoal grill/smoker capeable of such high temps...seems like the best pies were around the 550-600 range.
  • Brownie
    The cornmeal tends to darken on a hot stone, but you can push/scrape it off with your ash tool between pizza exchanges. I don't put cornmeal on the stone though. Only cornmeal that touches my stone comes from the peel or the pie when I put the pie in the egg. The cornmeal is only needed to get the pie to slide from the peel. Your pie won't stick to your stone unless cheese overflows ect. Temp range is good if your dough isn't burning.
    To me it looks like you are on the rite track based on your pics. Find your rhythm and stick with it, it only gets easier.
  • Duganboy
    i put cornmeal on my stone but only used flour up until that point.learned if you get stone to hot cornmeal goes up in smoke quick.never have a charcoal grill/smoker capeable of such high temps...seems like the best pies were around the 550-600 range.
    You don't need anything on the pizza stone.  The cornmeal on the peel and the bottom of the pizza crust will transfer to the stone.

Just get the stone good and hot and you are good to go.