Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid Help

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
4th cook on the XL tonight. Made chicken wings and ABT's. I cooked the wings direct, at 350 degrees. I had planned on cooking them for 90 minutes, and at the 60 minute mark, I went to flip em.

Burnt.

Lost about 12 wings. My grid is sitting right on the fire ring, and I realized that if I'm going to cook direct, I need a raised grate.

I'm over at the Ceramic Grill Store website looking for a raised grid setup. Not sure which one to get.

I see the Woo Ring, and the XL Woo 2. I see the Woo 2 has the ceramic stone option. I guess that would replace the plate setter, for indirect cooks, yes? Could i use that stone for pizza cooks?

Any help on the topic would be appreciated.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Okay after-market  is likely where you will end up (and that's good) but for an inexpensive solution get a couple of fire bricks or use empty beer cans and a weber grid (slightly smaller than your main grid (no help here as I have the LBGE)) and you can create the raised grid. 

And welcome aboard.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I recommend cooking the wings indirect.  Cook them at 400 for about 45 minutes and you'll have juicy wings with crispy skin -- and you don't have to worry about burning 'em!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you have a platesetter already, I would go with the PSWoo2. Then you can do raised direct or indirect.  Yes you can use the ceramic stone as a pizza stone.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    A WOO lets you choose raised, and really raised, and holds a wok.  I cook everything on a WOO except when I am searing steaks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I recommend cooking the wings indirect.  Cook them at 400 for about 45 minutes and you'll have juicy wings with crispy skin -- and you don't have to worry about burning 'em!

I completely agree.  That is the way I do them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    If you have a platesetter already, I would go with the PSWoo2. Then you can do raised direct or indirect.  Yes you can use the ceramic stone as a pizza stone.
    So the Woo2 is the way to go?

Is it a newer version of the original Woo?
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Yes ... bu adds a spider that can be used as a wok ring, hold an indirect stone or lower a smaller cast iron grate for searing.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551

How I do them as well with great results. I go lower and slower though for softer meat. Indirect 350-375 1.5 hrs. Gotta flip em.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47